Bad Internet Connectivity Only On One PC

iPaperKillz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
Hi, since ~24 hours ago, I have been experiencing very bad internet connectivity on my PC. I usually get 10 - 11Mbps Down, 0.8 - 1Mbps Up and 8 - 20ms Ping, but now I am getting anywhere from 0.1 - 0.3Mbps Down, 0.04 - 0.08Mbps Up and 400 - 2000ms Ping. I am on a wired ethernet connection. However, I decided to use an old Aztech Wireless-N USB Adapter and test it, and I got normal speeds of ~11Mbps Down, ~0.9Mbps Up and 20ms Ping. What can I do to troubleshoot my ethernet connection because I would prefer to use a wired connection because I play games too. Thanks in advance, all.

-iPaperKillz

Update: I just tried to retest my internet speeds with the Wireless-N USB Adapter and now I get the same slow speeds and high ping that I got with my wired connection, meaning that it was good for 1 test only.

Solution
1. Does it always have this kind of speed drop, or do you only see it at certain times/special circumstances?
-- on a related note, what results do other PCs/devices on your network get when you test their connection speeds?
-- on a 2nd related note, who is your ISP, & do they have any kind of data caps (specific to your account or just a general one) that could be affecting it?

2. Have you installed any recent apps, or has Windows installed any recent updates? If so, try uninstalling the app/patch, & make sure that didn't cause a problem.

3. Have you recently updated the driver file for the Ethernet adapter on the PC? If so, try rolling back to the old driver.
-- on a related note, if you haven't updated the driver for some...

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
1. Does it always have this kind of speed drop, or do you only see it at certain times/special circumstances?
-- on a related note, what results do other PCs/devices on your network get when you test their connection speeds?
-- on a 2nd related note, who is your ISP, & do they have any kind of data caps (specific to your account or just a general one) that could be affecting it?

2. Have you installed any recent apps, or has Windows installed any recent updates? If so, try uninstalling the app/patch, & make sure that didn't cause a problem.

3. Have you recently updated the driver file for the Ethernet adapter on the PC? If so, try rolling back to the old driver.
-- on a related note, if you haven't updated the driver for some time (i.e. weeks/months/years before this problem started), try checking for an updated driver.

4. Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking (Windows 7), or its Windows 10 equivalent. If the connection is fine, then that means something's running on your PC causing the problem.

Solution