ASRock Z370 Extreme 4
i7-8700k CPU
16gb (2x8) Corsair Vengence CMU16GX4M2A2666C16
EVGA Geforce GTX 1050ti FTW Edition
m.2 Samsung SSD PM871b
Artic AIO 3x120 radiator
EVGA 10000 G+ PSU
Thermaltake Level 20XT case

So I have been having issues where the PC will randomly lose power like it would when you pull the power. I have already checked the windows event logs, Nothing. So I decided to replace the PSU I had which was an 800 PSU with the one listed, still did it. Then I tried the old case I had which was an old Corsair 700d still does it. Then I went through the Motherboard QVL list. My RAM and m.2 are not on the list. Tried swapping the RAM and HDD with ones that are, and it still did it, randomly lose power. Then I noticed that it would do it right after pressing the power button. Soon after turning the power on, before a BIOS boot, it would immediately turn off. I decided to try a new CPU same model i7-8700k and it still does it. So now I am left with only one component to try swapping out, the motherboard. I need the RAID array availability that this board has, 8 ports because it is my Plex media server and has 6 internal RAID drives, yes it does it when the raid HDD is not connected as well as I tried removing the wireless card and video card and it still did it, but since now it won't stay on longer than 5 min, the Motherboard is the next step. I am going to be swapping it out for an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 Motherboard. My biggest question is where do I go from there if this does not fix or resolve the issue? I would have replaced every single component and I am at a loss. What else should I be checking?

One note, when I did swap out the HDD I cloned the HDD, but I doubt that that would be the issue since that would have given me a notice in the log and I have already tried to repair the windows build.

Solution
Since you already checked your other components for issues causing your pc to shut down immediately, in most cases it would be a power issue or of course the power supply. But since you tested your board with another power supply and the issue still occurred then maybe the motherboard is failing.

But to be sure that your components are not the ones causing this issue try using another motherboard maybe ask a friend, or see if you have any spare monos that are able to work with your components and if the issue is gone then it’s your motherboard.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Since you already checked your other components for issues causing your pc to shut down immediately, in most cases it would be a power issue or of course the power supply. But since you tested your board with another power supply and the issue still occurred then maybe the motherboard is failing.

But to be sure that your components are not the ones causing this issue try using another motherboard maybe ask a friend, or see if you have any spare monos that are able to work with your components and if the issue is gone then it’s your motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution

ryasis

Reputable
Dec 18, 2017

Thanks, I am going to order the z390. Do you see any foreseeable problems going from a z370 to a z390?