News Bad News for Scalpers in Nvidia RTX 4080 eBay Sales Data

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
LDLC, one of Europe's biggest hardware shops, if not the biggest...has had 4080 in stock since launch.

There are Gigabyte 4080, Zotac, PNY, Gainward. All fully stocked at MSRP with immediate shipping.

These GPU are not selling well at all in Europe. Usually LDLC runs out on the first days of a GPU launch, that did not happen this time, 4080 have been in stock since launch.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
wonder if nvidia has it in them to admit they made a mistake and start lowering msrp.

i doubt it, but a man can dream every now and then. :)

i don't see any of the 4000 series ever being worth the price as is. sure eventually a card will come out at $500 but it'll be the card that should have been $250 and so on down the line.

Apr 1, 2020
Your calculations are off though. At an average of 5% sales tax, a 4080 FE bought at $1199 would cost $1259, and if that card were sold on eBay for $1350 they would end up with $1161 after fees, net loss of $60.

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
Was wanting to purchase a 4080 but I think I'm going to wait until the release of the Radeon 7900 XTX. If I can get my hands on one of those I'll buy one, if not I'll go with the 4080.

I guess nvidia and the scalpers didn't get the inflation, salaries lost and recession memo.

This is very simple, many people will love to buy this new RTX cards, but not many of us have the money for this new price points.

Listen to me ngreedia! I got an RTX 2070 for $499 and I was very, very happy with it, for a month, then you #$&%/d me up (and many other people) with the launch of the "Super" models at the same price.

And you will soon want us to pay probably +$700 for a RTX 4070... I don't see that happening, not for me.

Lucky me I realized my RTX 2070 was not to blame for its father greediness, and Ive been very happy with it.

Reactions: SydB and King_V

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
The RTX 4000 pricing is ludicrous. When the highest end card has the best bang for the buck something is very wrong. The RTX 4080 should have been 799-899 max. Had Nvidia not been so greedy the 4080 could of been a great value instead of the pariah it has become.

Reactions: Krotow

2+2

Prominent
May 11, 2022
Nvidia is the scalper now
Nvidia made out huge from the mining craze.
Their stock went through the roof,
marching towards a Trillion dollar market cap.

Now their profits are down,
PE is at 40, way too high
and they want us PC gamers
to pay outrageous prices
so that their stock holders are happy.

Nvidia has abandoned gamers,
so this gamer has abandoned them.

Reactions: btmedic04
D

Deleted member 14196

to pay outrageous prices

Exactly. So boycott them. Let them learn a lesson

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Like Nvidia doesn't have a logistics team to figure this out...
You buy retail RTX 30, they win. That's helping them to clear out excess inventory.
You buy either RTX 4080 or 4090, they win. These cards have to be strategically priced, to help clear overstocked RTX 30 and keep the gravy train rolling.
The 40 series scalpers merely did them a favor this time around.

They lose when you simply don't buy any Nvidia retail gpus, be it Radeon, Arc, 2nd hand gpu, or just nothing at all.

Reactions: Loadedaxe

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Where are those nGreedia shills and leechy influencers now??

Just a few weeks ago, one of them was claiming right here that if those prices are too high, then why are the nGreedia GPUs sold out immediately.....!!

Let them eat their words AND those obscene GPUs!!

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
This is not rocket science.
As long as people keep paying these prices it will never end.

The mining craze made buying a GPU impossible, yet some people just had to have them, ran up their credit cards to get one, used covid relief funds etc. Now they are still paying it off and will be for 2+ more years.

Had everyone not paid those ridiculous prices we would not be in this worm hole, but as I have been saying, plebs will keep spending because money is of no value to them until they need it. Recessions always happen, a fool and his money are soon parted. Sadly most do not understand this.

Reactions: Krotow

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
This is not rocket science.
As long as people keep paying these prices it will never end.

The mining craze made buying a GPU impossible, yet some people just had to have them, ran up their credit cards to get one, used covid relief funds etc. Now they are still paying it off and will be for 2+ more years.

Had everyone not paid those ridiculous prices we would not be in this worm hole, but as I have been saying, plebs will keep spending because money is of no value to them until they need it. Recessions always happen, a fool and his money are soon parted. Sadly most do not understand this.

I love that last sentence "a fool and their money are soon parted"

This is why we have exploitative companies/practises. If we barely give a damn about idiots who make these moronic purchasing decisions, then think about how little some psychotic egoistic arrogant CEO/manager thinks.

Doesn't matter what people say: about 800€ for (the best) GPU is the maximum people should be willing to pay.

Yes, a 4090 should cost ~800, I said it.
You might reply with some bs like inflation, production cost, etc. No, No and No.

1) Inflation jacked up prices but not people's wages. So no, 1500€ is not the new 800€!

2) Production costs, also no. If Nvidia just went for the most powerful and expensive design the they have no idea who is supposed to buy their product in the end.
If a company doesn't even listen to it's audience, then they will sink like the rats on a ship.

Lastly, generational improvements are not something special. What is special is suddenly asking 2x the price for 2x the performance.

That's not how this works. Otherwise the 6080 Ti will cost +4000€...

Last edited:

hannibal

Distinguished
wonder if nvidia has it in them to admit they made a mistake and start lowering msrp.

i doubt it, but a man can dream every now and then. :)

i don't see any of the 4000 series ever being worth the price as is. sure eventually a card will come out at $500 but it'll be the card that should have been $250 and so on down the line.

Nah. Nvidia just release 4070 if 4080 is not selling and sell those... or 4060 or 4050 or even something slover if they need. Just wait 4050 at $499 and it sill sell like hotcakes because Nvidia and being "cheap"
... but only after 3000 series is sold out at MSRP +something to get good profit.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015

to pay outrageous prices

Hit the nail on the head my friend. Ive been buying nvidia gpus pretty much exclusively since the 7800gt. My next gpu will be from AMD or possibly intel depending on how battlemage pans out.

Reactions: ikernelpro4

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Hit the nail on the head my friend. Ive been buying nvidia gpus pretty much exclusively since the 7800gt. My next gpu will be from AMD or possibly intel depending on how battlemage pans out.
If AMD could just rival DLSS 2 & 3 properly, I would also switch.

No, FSR is not the same technology.
Maybe their next version of FSR might rival DLSS2.

Even then, Nvidia is clearly the A.I geek.
AMD has nothing to show for that I am aware off.

The latest AMD Gpu's are also their first gen tensor cores right?
Not good, when you compare it to Nvidia.

Reactions: btmedic04

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
If AMD could just rival DLSS 2 & 3 properly, I would also switch.

No, FSR is not the same technology.
Maybe their next version of FSR might rival DLSS2.

Even then, Nvidia is clearly the A.I geek.
AMD has nothing to show for that I am aware off.

The latest AMD Gpu's are also their first gen tensor cores right?
Not good, when you compare it to Nvidia.
at least in my situation, dlss/fsr is not applicable to me. I cant stand the look of either of them. I do find it interesting that amd is implementing their own tensor cores and am pretty excited to see what comes of them. We're essentially seeing the birth of an industry standard here now that all 3 gpu manufacturers have tensor cores in their designs. This can only benefit us as consumers :)