Bad Nvidia GPU Show Up in MacBook Pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
This affects several notebook models, not just Apple. Apple is just learning the hard way that when you start using commidty hardware, you get bitten hard just like all the other integrators out there. Glad to see they decided to take the high road on this and have left the door open for their customers to get repairs for free and reimburse those customers who already paid for theirs. It's more than what most other manufacturers will do.

G

I have a 256mb Geforce 8600GT on my desktop. It also seems to have the bug! It is a PNY Verto brand. quote from part of the article:

“distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display ” or “no video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on

After playing Unreal Tournament III for an extended period of time (a couple hrs or so) the screen will start to scramble. Even when i exit the game the distortion is still present. I've tried UNDERclocking the card to see if that helps and no luck. I wonder if this is tied to the constant errors I used to get that caused games to lock up and freeze... I forget the exact error message but it had something to do with the vga divice has stopped responded error.

and not being able to apply AA above 4x is still a problem. and as far as AF goes, no matter what i set, i really don't see any difference.

G

I have been plagued by the same issues described in the Apple release.

But I have a GS7900 on my desktop.

I can't help to think that maybe, just maybe, NVIDIA might hide the extent of the issue. If this turns out to be true, rest assured that my next card will not be NVIDIA.

What troubles me, is that the communication policy they applied with APPLE, just reinforced the suspicion.

Off course, APPLE might also want to get away with more than this specific NIVIDA issue, everything seems possible nowadays.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Gateway Pcs Sold here in mexico with the MCP 6100 Nvidia 430 IGP comonly known as Gf6100 Am2 socket suffer from the defect, as a WHOLE shipment of pcs fail to properly function whenever 3d acceleration comes in use, Several drivers versions where tried and all is narrowed down to the Nvidia IGP sams club has been refunding money for these specific pc's and is selling them as business only (not for gaming)

This doesn't bode well for nVidia. Not only is ATI beating them out for their latest generation of cards, but now they're facing this issue. :(

I've always been an nVidia fan (not fanboy), but of late they've been a little disappointing. Considering their 9 series cards really aren't much more than their 8 series cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.