[SOLVED] Bad Performance, please help

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
I'm a big VR Guy and because of how VR works having a high res displayed being zoomed in through lenses, VR is harder to run than flatscreen games, therefore I need ace performance from my PC. I've had issues for awhile, but it's always been my RAM I've blamed it on, I recently upgraded though and while it's alot better than before, it's not like it should be. Atleast from my knowledge, my PC should be performing better.

Specs are:

Ryzen 7 2700x (Been using for almost a year now)
550W Gold PSU (A little over a year old)
RTX 2070 Super OC GP Edition (A year old)
16 GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHZ (Recently upgraded to)
ROG Strix B450-F Gaming (Upgraded to a few months ago)
Can't remember what model, but some kingston M.2 with pretty good read/write speeds.

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to computers, I can build them from scratch and fix any problem within the bounds of windows itself, but when performance is hurting, most times I'm at a loss. Everything installation-wise when it comes to my parts is in order, but I could use some help configuring settings for the parts like in BIOS. Pretty sure my RAM is running 2300MHZ instead of the 3600MHZ advertised, that could be a boost. As far as I'm concerned it's something CPU-wise so I'm guessing it's the RAM and the CPU that needs configuring. Any tips and tricks appriciated! Also, please do tell me if there's something I should turn off too! Pretty sure DOCP is enabled.

Solution
The timings tables have all your main timings listed. If you can't get "XMP" to work you can try these timing as manual input in the BIOS section. If you go there, in BIOS, then look back at this picture it should all make sense to you, readily. The slowest reported timing is JEDEC 5 and the fastest is the XMP-3602.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nvidia recommends a 650W PSU as a start. Along with a very power hungry 2700X that could be some cause of issue. What brand is the PSU?

You may have to manually tune timings in BIOS for your RAM. If it's running at 23xx it is certainly hurting performance. That CPU would ideally like 28xx-32xx speeds.

What is your issue, exactly?

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Nvidia recommends a 650W PSU as a start. Along with a very power hungry 2700X that could be some cause of issue. What brand is the PSU?

You may have to manually tune timings in BIOS for your RAM. If it's running at 23xx it is certainly hurting performance. That CPU would ideally like 28xx-32xx speeds.

What is your issue, exactly?
PSU Brand is EVGA.
Would like some help with getting the RAM running at correct speeds and hopefully that would fix my problem being performance. My VR Headset has a refreshrate of 80hz and most of the time I can't even hit that. That's my problem.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check Event Viewer to see what is there. Lots of recurring '41'?

Download and install CPU-Z. On the SPD tab look under the Timings tables. It will give you the various timings and speed for it's reported JEDEC/XMP settings. You can adjust this in the BIOS in the case that using the auto profile isn't working.

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
I don't know what to take away from this. so here:
8j7168n.png
sd6EhLT.png

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The timings tables have all your main timings listed. If you can't get "XMP" to work you can try these timing as manual input in the BIOS section. If you go there, in BIOS, then look back at this picture it should all make sense to you, readily. The slowest reported timing is JEDEC 5 and the fastest is the XMP-3602.

Solution