Bad ping when wireless connection / signal of other device in the network is bad.

Sep 20, 2018
Hello,
I don't know how to describe it better, I asked in several other german forums already but no one could help me out, therefore I am trying it here now, so let me explain my problem:

We got a Router (Fritz!Box 7360), it's in the hallway, connected to it are 3 PCs, one in my room, the other 2 (a PC and a Laptop) in the living room, the distance from them to the router is short, roughly ~10 meters, the distance from my PC to the router is even shorter, only 3 meters.
Now, sometimes my ping goes horrible bad, normally it's at 23ms when pinging any website (like Google) but whenever the wireless signal of another device, the PC in the living room for example, gets "bad" (when being logged into the router I see the WLAN signal at 1 bar only) my ping goes up to 1300ms - 3400ms for whatever reason. I don't know how this is happening, why does a bad WLAN signal to another device effect my connection? I already switched WLAN sticks several times, got a new router and changed several things in the settings (new channel and so on) but nothing helped.
I can even recreate this problem by letting the CMD window run with a continuous ping while holding my hand infront of the WLAN stick of the PC in the living room, the ping on my PC gets extremely bad if I do this.
Does anyone know what I could do to fix it (other than "getting closer to the router", it's simply not possible and the distance is already so small compared to what I have seen at my friends)?

Solution
Are you sure it's not from bufferbloat due to buffering @ your max internet package?
If the wifi isn't the weak link and the internet is congested you will get latency.

see if your router has bandwidth monitoring and see if it's maxed during your lag spikes.
Are you sure it's not from bufferbloat due to buffering @ your max internet package?
If the wifi isn't the weak link and the internet is congested you will get latency.

see if your router has bandwidth monitoring and see if it's maxed during your lag spikes.

Solution