[SOLVED] BAD POOL CALLER

Mar 4, 2020
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am out of ideas, hopefully someone will have an idea.

So I began to get the bad pool caller error a month or two ago on startup. I did some searching around and I found it was likely due to drivers. So I tried to boot into safe mode, which worked, and updated all the drivers. Still was getting the blue screen.

So I decided to just wipe my drive and reinstall windows and this is where my current problem exists. I have the windows installer on an external hard drive and boot to it but only get to about 80% of "copying files" before it gives me the bad pool caller bsod. So, whether or not I'm correct on this I think it must be hardware... so here is what I have tried:

-tested ram
-replaced ram
-replaced motherboard
-removed gpu and tried onboard video
-attempted to install windows onto 2 separate hdd

So the only hardware left is the CPU or the power supply. It can't be software because there is none (is this correct thinking). Can the CPU or power supply cause this bad pool caller? I'm at my wits end here.

-I7 8700k @ 3.7ghz (no overclock) w/ cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler
-Asus prime z370 pii
-16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4 3000mhz
-500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (x3)
-Nvidia gtx 1070 ti
-Corsair CX750M
-Windows 10 Home

I'm thinking it must be the cpu at this point, but before I pull the trigger some confirmation would be nice. I'm pretty computer savvy, but not like alot of you folks are.

Thank you

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you've used Windows Media Creation Tools to create the installer, it should be on a pen drive.

Ideally you should list your specs like so:
CPU: (aftermarket cooler as well?)
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard. How old is your PSU?

Mar 4, 2020
Thanks for the reply!

In the asus bios utility it says "bios version 0801 x64, build date 4/24/2019". Then at the bottom "Version 2.17.1246 American Megatrends" (I assume that is the bios utility?)

My PSU is probably about a year old. It's a Corsair CX750M.

*** Formatted specs properly

Thanks 😀

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020
Unfortunately I tried both replacing the PSU and a different HDD cable... still got the BSOD. Ughhh. It took me a few days as I have to order stuff online, I live in a fairly rural location. Would the next step be go replace CPU?