Discussion bad psu/good psu! what's the difference?

Nov 11, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
Really what seperates a good psu from a bad one. I mean unless it's gonna blow up in my face and destroy the whole rig, why would I worry?

kanewolf

Titan
Really what seperates a good psu from a bad one. I mean unless it's gonna blow up in my face and destroy the whole rig, why would I worry?
Many of the truly bad power supplies might start a fire. It is labeled as a 600W power supply. It has components that can only reliably deliver 300W. You connect it to a 3070, and the plugs melt down damaging your graphics card. Or the internals of the power supply overheat and smoke.
It is truly that you get what you pay for in power supplies.

Nov 11, 2021
Hello everyone, i am going to buy a prebuilt pc from a seller online with A xigmatek X-POWER 600W and i was wondering whether this psu is going to cause any issues for the pc
PC specs:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G
Ram: Crucial 2x8 GB 3200mhz
Motherboard: Msi B450M pro vdh max
Gpu: Vega 7
Case: Xigametek Master X with 4 argb fans
Psu: Xigmatek X-power 600w
Storage: hdd 1tb - wd blue (also I have an ssd on hand, gonna add that)

Everything is NEW btw.
I've seen the bad reviews though, if it's bad then I'm gonna buy a new one for sure (in a specific budget though)

Oh no I didn't. I live in Egypt.

Nov 11, 2021
Ok before you say throw that out of the window, please read along.

I am going to buy a Ryzen 5 4650G prebuilt pc, which was the only option to buy that cpu. (no graphics card btw)

And there are like 2 to 3 stores that sells the same pc with just different psu or case.

But everything same quality basically.

So I am planning to buy that and KEEP that 600W psu for like 2-4 MONTHS until I get a better psu.

Something like a 70 dollars EVGA or smth.

My question is, will it explode in my face and destroy the world?

Had a friend with a Xigmatek X-POWER Supply.
Bought a new video card and did not want to replace his power supply. It was new and supposedly enough for his system.
We installed video card and drivers. Turned on 3dmark to check for stability.
About 7 seconds in the power supply POPs and lets out the magic smoke from power supply and video card.
Warranty on video card was denied and he had to replace both out of pocket.
NEVER use cheap power supplies unless you can afford to replace everything connected to it.

Nov 11, 2021
Bought a new video card and did not want to replace his power supply. It was new and supposedly enough for his system.
About 7 seconds in the power supply POPs and lets out the magic smoke from power supply and video card.
NEVER use cheap power supplies unless you can afford to replace everything connected to it.
Sorry for your friend, but I won't buy a graphics card and connect it to that cheap power supply. NO thank you!
**The specs are:

ryzen 5 - 4650g

msi b450m pro vdh max

ram 2x8 - 3200mhz

1tb ssd +hdd 1tb - wd blue +hdd 500gb

vega 7

xigametek master x - 4f

psu 600w - 80plus**

And I WILL buy a good power supply in about 4 months.
So PLEASE tell me if the power supply gonna do with that rig for about 4months. PLEASE!

bignastyid

Titan
Sorry for your friend, but I won't buy a graphics card and connect it to that cheap power supply. NO thank you!
**The specs are:

ryzen 5 - 4650g

msi b450m pro vdh max

ram 2x8 - 3200mhz

vega 7

xigametek master x - 4f

psu 600w - 80plus**

So PLEASE tell me if the power supply gonna do with that rig for about 4months. PLEASE!
Nobody can tell you with any certainty that it will be fine for that amount of time. It might last or it might go pop and fry the whole setup.

**The specs are:

ryzen 5 - 4650g

msi b450m pro vdh max

ram 2x8 - 3200mhz

vega 7

xigametek master x - 4f

psu 600w - 80plus**

Only God knows if your psu will hold up until you get a new one. You asked for advice, and everyone is telling you not to use the one you currently have. The ultimate decision is up to you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You just bought a used car that has 200k miles on it. It starts ok, runs ok, sounds ok. So without a mechanic tearing it apart down to the crankshaft, what would you expect the mechanic to say. You think he'd tell you it'll run like a champ for the next 4 months? There's no way any reputable mechanic could give any decision. It could throw a rod tomorrow, burn a ring next week, water pump could quit an hour from now, alternator freeze up next month.

Or it could run like it does now for the next 3 years. There's absolutely no guarantees on anything. No predictions on when anything electronic will die. There are ranges and expectations of how long the electronic items will last, but that's not a guarantee. Just an educated guess by the manufacturer.

My educated guess? Get yourself a rabbits foot, pray to your God daily, go dig up a 4 leaf clover, get a kiss from someone special before you hit the power button. Whatever brings you luck.

Reactions: Lafong
Nov 11, 2021
You just bought a used car that has 200k miles on it. It starts ok, runs ok, sounds ok. So without a mechanic tearing it apart down to the crankshaft, what would you expect the mechanic to say. You think he'd tell you it'll run like a champ for the next 4 months? There's no way any reputable mechanic could give any decision. It could throw a rod tomorrow, burn a ring next week, water pump could quit an hour from now, alternator freeze up next month.

Or it could run like it does now for the next 3 years. There's absolutely no guarantees on anything. No predictions on when anything electronic will die. There are ranges and expectations of how long the electronic items will last, but that's not a guarantee. Just an educated guess by the manufacturer.

My educated guess? Get yourself a rabbits foot, pray to your God daily, go dig up a 4 leaf clover, get a kiss from someone special before you hit the power button. Whatever brings you luck.
Gotta love your car references lol
I'm gonna watch Adventure Time for the next 4 Months then and hope that work. Thanks!