Bad ram? Please help !!!

mnmn

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005
Hello All,

Both of my computers's bios did not see the Kingston pc3200 ddr 512MB; though, with cpu-z running it shows.
Mbs are ga-sg667, and ga-8sq800.
DOA, perhaps?
Sincerely appreciated to any/all input

mn

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mnmn on 07/11/05 12:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You are reading the memory in CPU-Z after the OS loads? Then, there is nothing wrong with the modules themself and cannot be a "DOA" product.

The subject of "DOA" can be a lengthy one in which I will not address in detail in this thread. Basically, if you recieved the correct part, and it is not working then you are eligible for RMA, not DOA service- as the guidelines are often different between the two.

CPU-Z reads directly from the SPD chip on the module, regardless if the OS or BIOS recognizes the module.

In some cases, if you mix one module with another, the OS may recognize only one, yet programs like CPU-Z will still be able to read from the SBD chip since both modules are inserted.

This is not caused by the modules themselves. It's a compatibility issue. When you mix two different modules it can cause complications for the chipset, and quite possibly one of the modules (or even half of one module) gets completely ignored by the OS.

Are you mixing modules?
What OS are you using?

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM BrentUnitedMem

mnmn

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005
1. Yes. Corsair and Kingston
2. Windows XP Pro with sp2 integrated

***on the ga-8sq800, the pny shows along with corsair in dual channel; though, not the kingston one.

Thank you.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mnmn on 07/11/05 04:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
1. Then the modules most likely are not compatible together under your current settings.

Have you tried running just the Kingston module alone?
Have you tried switching the memory pair?

Also, you may want to try to manually set the latency in your system's BIOS to CAS Latency: 3 and try again.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha

mnmn

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005
""Have you tried running just the Kingston module alone?""
-No, I forgot about it.

""Have you tried switching the memory pair?""
-Yes, I did, the problem remains the same

""Also, you may want to try to manual set the latency in your system's BIOS to CAS Latency: 3 and try again.""

-I got into bios before, but there is no option for cas manual setting. Could you please tell me where it should be under?

The timing set for both rams are:
1. corsair 3.4.4.9 (the other corsair and pny: 3.4.4.8)
2. kingston 3.3.3.8

Sincerely appreciated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mnmn on 07/11/05 05:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
For various reasons, not every motherboard's BIOS let's you manually change the latency settings.

You'll have to search for it in your BIOS program. Try looking in the section that talks about FREQUENCY. If you can't find it, maybe you can't change it.

The only way to tell if you have a problem specific to the Kingston module is to install it by itself and see if it works. If you continue having problems with the Kingston module you may be entitled to RMA.

You can also try updating the Motherboards BIOS.

<font color=blue>******

RichPLS

Champion
Some Gigabyte boards require you to hit ctl F1 when in BIOS to enable memory timing features.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mnmn

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005
BrentUnitedmem,

It did not worked by itself.
I called Circuit City to special order another one for exchange; should receive by end of the week.
Will update.
Appreciated for your kindness replied !

Mnmn

mnmn

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005
Good to know!
It is as always, learning by doing.
Thank you so much for the information.
Have a great day!

Mnmn