Bad sectors on my drive, should I replace it?

lonrot

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2012
Hi,

My main hard drive (Windows) shows some bad sectors, the number of sectors hasn't changed since I discovered them 2 months ago. I have another identical drive which is in good condition.

Should I move my data to the second drive or ignore it and continue with my life?

Current bad sectors:
nQMQ9mc.png

Solution
It's a small number and it's not going up, I wouldn't trust it, but I could use it as a scratch pad, like page files, Steam games that are less important, blah blah blah. I would not use it as a boot drive.

If you plan on using it, I would periodically check up on the errors. If they show signs of going up, I would ditch it when you find time/money.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
It's a small number and it's not going up, I wouldn't trust it, but I could use it as a scratch pad, like page files, Steam games that are less important, blah blah blah. I would not use it as a boot drive.

If you plan on using it, I would periodically check up on the errors. If they show signs of going up, I would ditch it when you find time/money.

Solution

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Scandisk should mark the bad sectors and relocate any data to good sectors. If the drive is making noise like a whine (assuming it is a platter drive) or bad sectors keep appearing it is better to replace it as soon as you can. The only good thing about platter drives compared to SSD's is that platter drives will give symptoms before they fail and give you time to fix. An SSD, just dies.