[SOLVED] Bad sectors / should I be looking for a new hard drive?

Jan 9, 2022
Hey everyone. The drive is Seagate ST2000DM006. It seems to be functioning fine, for the exception of very occasional unreadable bits of data on it. About a month ago Crystal Disk Info started showing 8 bad sectors (I suppose that's what that means) and the number stayed the same since then.

Screenshot:
JBxE2f2.png

I'm on Windows 11 and chkdsk didn't find any problems, however the OS disk management utility says there are errors and the drive is at risk...

So I assume I probably should be getting a new disk, right?

Thank you

Jan 9, 2022
  1. You should always have a backup of any data you do not wish to lose.
  2. You should be prepared for any drive to die in the next 0.25 sec
I'm aware of backups, I just wonder if this drive could even be used at all. I think I heard of some apps able to block bad sectors and prevent writing onto them. And if those sectors are not increasing then maybe the drive could still be used, at least for some backups

USAFRet

Titan
I'm aware of backups, I just wonder if this drive could even be used at all. I think I heard of some apps able to block bad sectors and prevent writing onto them. And if those sectors are not increasing then maybe the drive could still be used, at least for some backups
If the bad sectors are not increasing (right now), then continue to use it until it DOES die.

But no, you do NOT put backups on a potentially failing drive.

Reactions: oculusvision