Question Bad stuttering in every game, could Ryzen be the issue ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
I have a high end pc, and in every single game I get bad stuttering.
I was getting it on my rtx 3090 and went to a 6900xt, still got it.
Got a new PSU ( Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W )
Upgraded my ryzen 5 3600 to a ryzen 9 5900x. Upgraded to a x570 taichi, 32gb of ram, a 2tb 980 pro, still happens. The only thing that has been constant throughout these upgrades is ryzen.
Do you think this could possibly be a ryzen issue? I am now wondering if I should go to intel and see if that fixes it, but I wanted opinions before I went through that nightmare.
Its the only thing I can think of at this point, it was happening on my old ryzen 5 3600 machine, everything on my current pc is new and its still happening. This didnt happen when I had a 2500k

I have watched temps in HWmonitor, theyre all fine. Ive set all cores to 3.6ghz on my cpu so theyre not all jumping around. Different ram. Putting settings on lowest they can go.
Examples;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jpobE1Y6Qg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CutEaizidk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8oG56fK0o

View: https://youtu.be/XBXRZ1mjZ6Y

Is there a software that could turn off absolutely all processes and everything running except the game to make sure it's not a software issue? I'm running out of things to think of

I havent got the new one yet, I am just preparing my GPU return form incase, as I have little hope the intel system will help.
The old PSU was also 1000w. My current PSU has an eco mode, that wouldnt have anything to do with it would it? You can see in the stutter videos, the GPU usage drops in half when it happens

It shouldn't be, I believe thats for the fan to sleep (turn off) when having low loads, in any case, Were you using the eco mode while testing ?

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Theyre meant to arrive today.

Yeah, I will be. They just have huge delays from where I bought it cause of covid. So I am putting in the request now, and if the intel system works fine ill cancel it.
Its tough because I dont know any other pc people with high end hardware, so I might have to gamble and just buy another PSU, and if its fine I guess ill put it away and keep it as a spare then we can say 100% its GPU. Sucks to tie up so much money because I am trying to save for a car.

Theyre meant to arrive today.

Yeah, I will be. They just have huge delays from where I bought it cause of covid. So I am putting in the request now, and if the intel system works fine ill cancel it.
Its tough because I dont know any other pc people with high end hardware, so I might have to gamble and just buy another PSU, and if its fine I guess ill put it away and keep it as a spare then we can say 100% its GPU. Sucks to tie up so much money because I am trying to save for a car.
If its confirmed to be the GPU return the Intel platform. You have a top of the line system from AMD that is frankly faster than intel at this point in most everything.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Couple questions before I build today if you dont mind.
I am using a 5000d corsair. Is it worth taking the backplate off and putting the 3x 120mm fans that would be at the back of the case?
https://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/pdp/5000-series/images/5000d-and-airflow-rad-cap-120.png

See where it says 360mm. Or would it be pointless since the top and back are going to be exhaust? ( all air cooled )

Also, what is the standoff screw in this pic, I dont recognise it. Is it just a stability one or something?
Also what are you meant to do with this plate that has hdd/ssd all over it? Remove it for airflow?
https://ibb.co/k5Sy38C

Couple questions before I build today if you dont mind.
I am using a 5000d corsair. Is it worth taking the backplate off and putting the 3x 120mm fans that would be at the back of the case?
https://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/pdp/5000-series/images/5000d-and-airflow-rad-cap-120.png

See where it says 360mm. Or would it be pointless since the top and back are going to be exhaust? ( all air cooled )

Also, what is the standoff screw in this pic, I dont recognise it. Is it just a stability one or something?
Also what are you meant to do with this plate that has hdd/ssd all over it? Remove it for airflow?
https://ibb.co/k5Sy38C

This is what I would do:

I would first try all the basic components on a cardboard box, then when I know everythings working (at least boot up to BIOS and showing the right stats/names in there), move them inside the case.

And no, you don't really need to put those 3 x 120mm fans right away, not for testing. Its better (for me) to just leave the case open the first two or three hours till you get the software installed and have tested with at least 1 game.
Having the side panel removed allows you to "hear" the PC internals and to make any adjustments need it. If theres no intake fan on the front, you can add those 3 fans as intakes later on when you are about to close the case.

As for that particular standoff its used as support, all you need to do is check that it fits in the right place with the new motherboard. If not remove it and relocate.

If you meant the lower part of the motherboard backplate, I would leave it since its metal and it should get warm and help with heat dissipation somehow. I don't believe you are going to get much usefull "air-flow" through that hole anyways.

Reactions: helper800
I will do everything you said.
Is adding 3 fans in that spot even worth it? Or will there be too much exhaust and not enough intake? I have noctua fans.
It depends on whether you want a positive or negative pressure setup. More fans is always better if you can control their fan speed. For instance my case has 2 x 200mm intake fans in the front 1 x 140mm rear exhaust fan and 6 x 120mm fans (push/pull) on my 360mm radiator for my CPU.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
This is what I would do:

I would first try all the basic components on a cardboard box, then when I know everythings working (at least boot up to BIOS and showing the right stats/names in there), move them inside the case.

And no, you don't really need to put those 3 x 120mm fans right away, not for testing. Its better (for me) to just leave the case open the first two or three hours till you get the software installed and have tested with at least 1 game.
Having the side panel removed allows you to "hear" the PC internals and to make any adjustments need it. If theres no intake fan on the front, you can add those 3 fans as intakes later on when you are about to close the case.

As for that particular standoff its used as support, all you need to do is check that it fits in the right place with the new motherboard. If not remove it and relocate.

If you meant the lower part of the motherboard backplate, I would leave it since its metal and it should get warm and help with heat dissipation somehow. I don't believe you are going to get much usefull "air-flow" through that hole anyways.
One thing I haven't tried because I don't know how to do it. Would undervolting the gpu maybe help?

Posts like this are so similar to my story I had to check I didn't make it.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/6900-xt-stuttering-lagging-and-bad-performance/td-p/459093

Last edited:
One thing I haven't tried because I don't know how to do it. Would undervolting the gpu maybe help?

Posts like this are so similar to my story I had to check I didn't make it.

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/6900-xt-stuttering-lagging-and-bad-performance/td-p/459093

Can't help on that, I never had the necessity to undervolt a GPU. I bet there will be other members here that may be able to help you with that. There are many videos and websites on how to do it.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Absolutely unbelieveable.
Bit of an update. On the amd system I would get stutters after 3 mins, and they would get worse and worse.
I am currently running cod on an external HDD because I had to fresh install on my nvme due to amd - intel switch. On an external HDD, I have been playing for the last hour and it has been absolutely smooth as heck! Even with ram on default settings, zero overclock.

Absolutely stocked. My CPU usage has gone from 10-15 % to 30 and once I saw it go up to 70%, so I am a bit worried about battlefield coming out this year as thats always much harder on CPU. However ill take 60fps of smooth as butter gameplay than 120fps stutter. SO happy its over!

Bit of an update. On the amd system I would get stutters after 3 mins, and they would get worse and worse.
I am currently running cod on an external HDD because I had to fresh install on my nvme due to amd - intel switch. On an external HDD, I have been playing for the last hour and it has been absolutely smooth as heck! Even with ram on default settings, zero overclock.

Absolutely stocked. My CPU usage has gone from 10-15 % to 30 and once I saw it go up to 70%, so I am a bit worried about battlefield coming out this year as thats always much harder on CPU. However ill take 60fps of smooth as butter gameplay than 120fps stutter. SO happy its over!
So that likely means there is something wrong with your specific 5900x CPU. Also, I glad you got a system working with no stutters!

Reactions: RodroX

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Im not sure because this gpu + psu was stuttering on my friends b550 + 2600, so I have no idea.
Thanks for all the time you guys spent helping me, I leant a lot.

I can show a video as proof. Exact same settings, only thing changed is amd to intel and you should see how much smoother it is. Unreal

Everything is exactly the same. Only thing I've changed is CPU and mobo
Well let me reiterate, I do not know what's going on, but its definitely not a problem innate with AMD CPUs. There is a logical explanation to this, we just do not know it yet.

On the AMD system did you ever install the newest chipset drivers from the AMD website and NOT the motherboards website? Just to make sure, you were also on the newest NON-BETA BIOS update for your motherboard, correct?

Eh, give it a few months before you declare victory, fresh installs tend to be smooth.
I wish you the best of luck with your setup but you have to have looked around this forum during all of this time you have this issue, you have to have seen plenty of people with intel systems having game troubles.

This is getting even more strange. If it wasn't because of your friend testing the GPU and PSU, I would now think theres something wrong with your nvme drive (if you used to have the games there). But since your friend had the same issues with his storage system then I guess thats not the case.

Anyways, glad you have it working!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I really hope not... It would be good to check all internal and external cables, within reason though.
That's why I crossed out the cable question. I didn't really think that one through.

There was the earlier Latencymon results pointing towards kernel drivers, but the C drive is an NVMe - that doesn't use any cables.
The friend has similar hardware, but experienced similar symptoms? SUPPOSEDLY, all that's different is the cpu and motherboard... but SUPPOSEDLY, an ex-HDD later, and there's no problems?
IDK... it feels like we're still at step 1...

That's why I crossed out the cable question. I didn't really think that one through.

There was the earlier Latencymon results pointing towards kernel drivers, but the C drive is an NVMe - that doesn't use any cables.
The friend has similar hardware, but experienced similar symptoms? SUPPOSEDLY, all that's different is the cpu and motherboard... but SUPPOSEDLY, an ex-HDD later, and there's no problems?
IDK... it feels like we're still at step 1...
Agreed, chasing down the issues with the OPs AMD platform seems like I am looking for a ghost at this point. I typically do not get stumped, but on this one I am running dry on ideas. I wonder if he had the SAM (Smart Access Memory) enabled. This, I have seen somewhere, can cause issues like additional latency, but to the point of visible stutters? That would be the first I heard about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.