Question bad system files / virus ?

Lordcool

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
my win xp 32bit suddenly failed to run primo ramdisk and photoshop,
the error primo gives indicate corrupted system files, try run sfc / scannow and get unable to open rpc which is running , tryed boot win xp cd and run recovery (should be same thing) and
refuse to login as admin (which is the only account tho not named admin, is that important ?)
tryed create administrator account and it says its already there tho does not show in the list, just one account with other name with admin rights and a disabled guest account.
tryed instal mbam 3 and also failed to start, advanced system recovery(or similar name ) says I have thousands of infected files. Apreciate any tips to repair bad files and registry entries.
If I run a reinstall over it will this destroy any data ? like my desktop txt files.
Is there some bootable cd image with a good virus scanner than can clean bad files ? and give no false positives. I trued a ton of virus scanners that block or delete known good programs. So I gather it is a challenge to know what is infected or not. A good old program could be infected by another bad one f.ex. Seems also many programs just lie and tell you have tons of bad infected files to trick you to buy their "pro" version
is there a better ram drive program for xp than primo ? I want use >4gb ram the 64 bit version is unstable and fail to run some programs. I want it using the hidden / unallocated memory and put swap files on each 4gb drive.

Update:
I did get the old ramdisk plus working again, tho its unstable and sometimes ramdrives are gone if I reboot and pc is killing the boot drive with an insane swap file there. Some are asking why use xp on an i7 core with 16 gb ram but the question was not about that, Many of the programs this pc needs to run do not run in win7 or in winxp64 bit, also this is very unstable so unless I can find other programs doing the same job xp is the best option, or find something that emulates xp exactly while also running win7 programs would be ideal. I have a 64bit patch supposed to help memory but thats also unstable and bluescreen the whole pc within hours just sitting idle so ramdrives on 32 bit seems the way to go. Three 4 gb ramdrives with swapfiles gives 12 gig more memory usable and sure make demanding tasks run a lot smoother
Only issue with xp 32 bit is 4 gb adressing limit, if any know a good fix for this I would be grateful.
Is there a more reliable ramdrive that allow several 4 gb drives created in unmanaged ram ?

Primo ramdisk ultimate ran fine a few days then crapped out with"failed to initialise the controller" any fix for this ? only suggestion I found was download advanced system repair that mbam identifies as a virus,
the "advanced" crap I do not trust at all , claiming tons of viruses , where other scanners dont find them
and when it tried "fix" issues all it did was make the mouse stop work and I had to use another port.

Why cant I run sfc to see if any system files are bad ? is there any good tool to check registry errors and dont make them worse ? Seems most registry "fixers" will just break other things.
Why do i get the error about rpc server not working ? Im getting same on another pc running xp ,
and same issue not being able to login as admin when xp demand it during recovery even tho the only account I use has admin rights , should I rename account to admin ? or will that mess up stuff ?

Obviously win8 wont run the programs win7 cant run so thats no solution just a much crappier windows, and if I am supposed to backup daily then that takes a lot of storage and I need get my fileserver running perfect. Maybe i should ditch linuxmint and go with ubuntu and see it thats more stable, my old server ran ubuntu well years ago until the drives wore out and now I need more storage
Besides how do I reload backup when my pc cant find the new samba server ?
seems samba and desktop sharing is always a bitch to make work reliable, if it does work then it fails at next reboot and I need to spend months adjusting every setting manually , including tons not in manuals.
seems mint is very unstable and has no improvements over ubuntu. I miss ubuntu 14 I think that was able to work when setup manually. Will that run well on a modern mainboard ?

Last edited:
What do you use the computer for? Is it connected to internet? Or is it a computer closely tied to a device that can only be run using XP?

Now - if you have an infection, and is also connected to web, you face some problems:
  • Many modern malwares does encrypt the "dangerous stuff" so that the antivirus won't find it.
  • Most antivirus programs either doesn't support XP - or just as you said you cannot trust the report of those few programs that can run on XP.

If you somehow "have to" run XP (if you work at a place where it is old equipment that still works), then you should take the following measurements against data loss and malware:
  • When OS and programs are installed and all licenses are fully registered, then you should take full system backup. Personally I use Clonezilla for that.
  • The computer should NOT be online, due to the lack of security updates.

Have you considered upgrading to e.g. Windows 8 ?

Let's first at least try to see if there are any obvious malware symptoms....

Any weirdo/new/unexplained processes showing in task manager/processes? (Microsoft/Sys Internals' 'Process Explorer will help by allowing you to see Virus Totals stats on every running process listed)