Bad temperature reads

Kira900

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Hello everyone!

Today I assembled an ASRock z97 killer with an i5 4690k and the problem is that I'm getting weird readings about my cpu temp but also for other parts of my system.

In idle my cpu temp is about 28 C°, but when I start stress test the temperature jumps IMMEDIATELY at 55 C°, with a maximum peak at 61 C°, and when I stop stressing cpu the temperature goes down at 30-27 C° in a few seconds, are these jumps normal?
Readings done by Hardware Monitor, Real Temp and SpeedFan.

I've tried doing a "sensor test" by Real Temp and I got some results but I don't know what they mean.

01640f6b9a.png

Can you help me?

I state that hardware is set fine, I did the same like my old system, a little grain of thermal compund (MX-4) all over the heat spreader, and so I've put the Thermaltake NiC C4 Cooling System on the cpu, and that's it.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad language, I'm not english.

Solution
Woa here ... Guys ... let's not jump to a lot of conclusions! We don't even know his ambient temperature.

rockie_,

Ease up ... you're slinging around some confusing information. TjMax is 100C for the 4690K. Although Tcase is 72C, the corresponding Core temperature is 77C (Tcase +5). Is it possible that you might have developed a misconception somewhere along the way about TjMax values?

I seem to recall that we went over the TjMax value for your laptop sometime recently, which is 85C, but there's a similar processor variant which is 100C.

Real Temp's data base is not out of date. Kevin keeps it updated. I wouldn't feature Real Temp in my Guide if it didn't work properly for the Devil's Canyon processors.

Respectfully, please...

Kira900

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Thank you for your replies, but what do you think about those temperature jumps? I mean, I have 27 C°, but as soon as I start stress test the temperature goes at 53/55 C° in few seconds, are these cpu a nuclear reactor? :??:

Kira900

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Thanks a lot dude, but what about those weird temperature jumps? I think it's not normal jumping from 27 C° to 55 C° in 2/3 seconds... Now this is my worry

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Woa here ... Guys ... let's not jump to a lot of conclusions! We don't even know his ambient temperature.

rockie_,

Ease up ... you're slinging around some confusing information. TjMax is 100C for the 4690K. Although Tcase is 72C, the corresponding Core temperature is 77C (Tcase +5). Is it possible that you might have developed a misconception somewhere along the way about TjMax values?

I seem to recall that we went over the TjMax value for your laptop sometime recently, which is 85C, but there's a similar processor variant which is 100C.

Real Temp's data base is not out of date. Kevin keeps it updated. I wouldn't feature Real Temp in my Guide if it didn't work properly for the Devil's Canyon processors.

Respectfully, please give the Guide another read: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Let's focus on helping Kira900 sort out his concerns.

Kira900,

Yes ... Core temperatures respond instantly to changes in load ... as in 256 miliseconds. If you want to find out exactly what the thermal performance is for your rig, then run the load and idle tests in the Temp Guide.

CT :sol:

Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
rockie_,

Your 2350M (Spec PGA - TjMax 85C) might begin to throttle at 78C, but that does not apply to the Devil's Canyon processors, which Throttle at approximately 100c. Without thermal protection features, the processor will Shutdown at approximately 125 - 130C.

Respectfully, if you wish to debate Intel processor temperatures, then please start your own thread. Don't bring it here again.

We will now confine the discussions in this thread to Kira900's topic.

CT :sol:

Kira900

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

So, it's all normal, right? If so I can start to overclock a little bit.
Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it! :D