Ballmer Indicates Microsoft Becoming More Like Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]do you still need to know command line for everyday tasks or installing something new? that im not sure about and could be a deal breaker.[/citation]
yeah, you do... :(

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
That's a stupid attitude to look at Apple as better. They just got lucky with gadgets that improved upon existing ones. MS, Linux and/or Google will take your throne while you insist being like Apple.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
it's one thing to regulate , what you sell in your own store... but if MS ever starts regulating what we can and can't put on our pc's that wil be the day they will BURN. actualy i already hate MS for thier change in install policy with win 7 you pay 200, 300, or 400 for a retail OS and can only install to ONE PC. F--- MS.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Microsoft is so obsessed with Apple that they lost a touch with reality and they came up with product called Windows 8 which is going to be end of MS. Windows 8 will never be able to compete in mobile market and i don't know why MS is so upset about the fact that they lost the battle there. Who cares, Apple/Google can have that market but stick with what was good so far with and that is Businesses and Home Users (Desktops / Laptops). Windows 8 will ultimately drive people toward Apple or Google. I can understand Windows 8 on Phone and Table in form of Metro (which is Btw nothing but shit, i would like to meet an idiot who said that Metro 'in general' is perfect way of designing things), but why the f... mess Desktops. After a month of trying Windows 8 on Desktop, that shit is simply unusable.[/citation]

the thing yiou are failing to see , is that the market is MOVING TO TABLET PC's. sure you will not see , achitechs game developers and power users running their programs on a tablet , but the VAST majority of the pc market are not power users. they want to browse the internet , watch you tube videos , and caht to freinds of social network .. ALL those task are easily doable ona tablet today, and a tablet makes those task more mobile than ever , while not giving them a coniption playing with a tiny phone sized screen. which is what most users want. something portable but easy to use.

no the desk top wont disappear , power usuers ,architech's software/game developers and the like will all still need their desktops , but i seriously think tablets will kill lap tops in then end, and push desktops into being niche products.

as a pc gamer and a 3d artist/ i hate admiting it , but denying it won't make my wishes come true. and teh fact remains most users just don't need a desktop's power, laptops are much bulkier than tablets and drain more battery power . for the main stream the future is tablet pc's.

so for MS to continue ignoring this market it would be an enormous blunder on their part. Right now the market is still rather young (only 2-3 years in ) so MS still has a chance to get a foot in the door and take a huge slice of the pie , but if they stall any longer it wil get to be too late.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

It's not necessary, no, but if you don't you'll have one hell of a confusing and frustrating time if you don't.

All you did was restate what you said earlier, so let me restate this: PC gamers and enthusiasts are not the majority of the desktop market. Yes, as Linux grows in popularity, it will gain software support; however, OEMs don't choose to put Windows on their computers because it has better software support, they choose it because it's the most popular. They also know that consumers want their computer to work right out of the box - Linux isn't generally known or designed to work that way.

I'm not saying it's impossible for this to happen, I just don't think it will. And this is also completely discounting the fact that the OS landscape will be the same over the next few years - what if more alternatives (that aren't Linux-based) crop up? What if Windows 9 recaptures the enthusiast vote before too radical of a shift occurs?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]It's not necessary, no, but if you don't you'll have one hell of a confusing and frustrating time if you don't.All you did was restate what you said earlier, so let me restate this: PC gamers and enthusiasts are not the majority of the desktop market. Yes, as Linux grows in popularity, it will gain software support; however, OEMs don't choose to put Windows on their computers because it has better software support, they choose it because it's the most popular. They also know that consumers want their computer to work right out of the box - Linux isn't generally known or designed to work that way.I'm not saying it's impossible for this to happen, I just don't think it will. And this is also completely discounting the fact that the OS landscape will be the same over the next few years - what if more alternatives (that aren't Linux-based) crop up? What if Windows 9 recaptures the enthusiast vote before too radical of a shift occurs?[/citation]

a lot of applications are moving to the web, google offered a scaled down version of office online, i can see many office applications going this direction at some point, and many are offered in linus distros as a default.

im assuming that if valve goes linux, they will have sorted out how to install and get working crap without going into command line, that probably isnt a large hurtle to meet.

once linux goes somewhat mainstream, i could honestly see a mozilla like effort to make it as good as possible and for free.

keep in mind, most people only use a computer for internet, and word processing, and watching videos online.

they get a computer with all they need pre installed, i doubt they would ever have to worry about upgradeing most of their software, and even than, those are the kind of people to take a pc to a computer shop.

gamers are a bit more willing to learn how to install things if they need to than a normal consumer, so i could see them getting use to command line to some extent to get things working.

the business level, people at the computer entering numbers, are not fixing or installing anything on a computer, its all IT departments, they get payed to do the hard stuff.

and on a pro level software, its much the same as what i said above, many of them have people to do it for them, and if not, are of the same mindset as gamers who would go into command line to get things up and running right.

we are seeing a push to get browsers to be a platform separate from the main os, if that comes to any conclusion, you could see os dependence for software severely drop, and probably any need for command line in linux to go away so long as the browser works.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

In business, productivity and efficiency affect profits. When systems go down for any reason (including maintenance and upgrades), it can have a negative affect on productivity/efficiency which reduces profits. A well staffed IT department can get things up and running again quickly, but not all business have that luxury. IT departments must justify and recoup any downtime caused by scheduled maintenance and upgrades, sometimes showing potential increases to the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.