Ballmer: Microsoft Will Beat Google Eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Round 1... FIGHT!!

Ba, Na, na, Na, na, na, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Dragon Punch! *smack* Dragon Punch! *groan* Hydoken! *grunt*

Ba, Na, na, Na, na, na, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
"The truth is, the number one thing Google benefits from is they did it right first,"

Maybe the same could be said of Microsoft Windows...

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Last line: "Redmond has been thinking more about piracy" - I don't think you can pirate google's e-mail service since it's free, unless they take all the code and just replace google w/MS logos. Logical conclusion: Piracy = privacy.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]lol, they did it right first. So let us copy and fail. Like we always do. I wish MS would die.[/citation]

So you can do all your epic solitaire gaming on a Mac??

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
There's no way Bing could be bigger than Google. Google has been around so long it's already a verb!!! Ten years from now people will still "google" anything. It's a synonym for "search", and Bing will never get that status.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Google should be happy. Everything Ballmer says always happens in the exact opposite way. "The iPhone will never be big." "We will never partner with linux." etc.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Herbert_HA[/nom]"The truth is, the number one thing Google benefits from is they did it right first,"Maybe the same could be said of Microsoft Windows...[/citation]Totally different...

Xerox did it right first. They just priced it too high.

Apple than copied it and like Steve Jobs said, "Apple is not ashamed of copying great ideas."

Then Steve Jobs was forced to resign and he started NeXT. Which was priced like $500 more than the competitors but the competition costs over $5000 so $500 more for a system with a nice development IDE wasn't too bad.

Then comes Microsoft Windows. Bill Gates was smart enough to sell Windows to every PC manufacture cheaply. Before than OS's with GUI were locked to it's own PC manufacture, like Apple is still doing. When will they ever learn...

So that's how Windows succeeded. Not because they were first in anything.

G

MS can not catch up to google in search, everything they do is under scrutiny for anti competitive BS. It is so easy for MS to be #1, integrate Bing into windows, gimp google searches when using IE, keep IE as the default browser.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I think Bing will continue to eat into Googles share. But it will never surpass them. Bing is pretty good. Much better than Yahoo in my opinion. It even has some advantages over google that I occasionally use. But... I still (and will probably always) use google for 98% of my searches.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Herbert_HA

"The truth is, the number one thing Google benefits from is they did it right first,"

Maybe the same could be said of Microsoft Windows..."

Yep always first to copy a good idea. MS DOS copy of CPM, Windows copy of Mac OS, IE copy of Netscape and now Bing a copy of Google. All of them second rate copies too, but if you give crap away people will use it. They sucker people in with "Free" stuff then gouge them. If you deal with MS prepare to drop your pants and bend over.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It is extremely difficult to convince people to change the way they do things on the computer. Bing may be better but if I want to search for specific text on the internet, I always use google, it is quick to load because it doesn't try to be fancy.

I think the only way microsoft would defeat google is if they put something into their code that doesn't allow you to use google (like they did with netscape - which I think they got sued for it), but I am sure that would create a huge backlash.

jon bon wonton

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
"Microsoft has also learned from Buzz, claiming that following the public backlash against Google's microblogging service, Redmond has been thinking more about piracy."

I'm sure piracy is always a concern for Microsoft, but I think in this instance you meant to say privacy.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I must admit, Bing is significantly better at being Google then Google is. BTW Apple = Big Brother. Microsoft = Used Car Salesman.[/citation]
+1 !

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]There's no way Bing could be bigger than Google. Google has been around so long it's already a verb!!! Ten years from now people will still "google" anything. It's a synonym for "search", and Bing will never get that status.[/citation]

That's exactly what I said when BING was released. Simply because Google is an icon in society now, it would take A LOT to take it out, or surpass it in status. Personally I just don't think any company is capable of taking out such a societal icon.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I hate M$ but if it wasn't for their crappy OS I wouldn't have a job. M$ still suks major! Microsoft should NOT be allowed to enter the search market if you ask me. Don't count them out of the search engine game. If there is money involved you will find M$ execs with their hands in your pants. Think of M$ as a pack of hyena's, they will go where they can to scavenge or steal whatever they can. Yeh they are despicable from the top down. We shouldn't give them anything but the boot and the back door.

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Totally different...Xerox did it right first. They just priced it too high.Apple than copied it and like Steve Jobs said, "Apple is not ashamed of copying great ideas."Then Steve Jobs was forced to resign and he started NeXT. Which was priced like $500 more than the competitors but the competition costs over $5000 so $500 more for a system with a nice development IDE wasn't too bad.Then comes Microsoft Windows. Bill Gates was smart enough to sell Windows to every PC manufacture cheaply. Before than OS's with GUI were locked to it's own PC manufacture, like Apple is still doing. When will they ever learn...So that's how Windows succeeded. Not because they were first in anything.[/citation]

Actually, I agree with everything you've just said, except that being the first to use that strategy of mass marketing, they were the ones who ended on top. I never said I was referring to their software.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]There's no way Bing could be bigger than Google. Google has been around so long it's already a verb!!! Ten years from now people will still "google" anything. It's a synonym for "search", and Bing will never get that status.[/citation]
Is it bad that I don't and probably never will say "google it"? I tell people to search for it, and end up telling them to use google to find it (cause they have no clue that google is a search engine for some reason), it makes me sad :(

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
i was hoping to see the picture of Ballmer that looks like Jaba the Hutt. Can you guys use that pic for all Ballmer articles? It makes my day.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]i was hoping to see the picture of Ballmer that looks like Jaba the Hutt. Can you guys use that pic for all Ballmer articles? It makes my day.[/citation]

Last time I used it I got hate mail!!

Status
Not open for further replies.