Ballmer: PC Is Our Primary Focus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Mr Pizza[/nom]Well duh the PC is the best of anything[/citation]
Hahahaha spoken like a true pimple faced still living in your parents basement teenage Tom's reader! Thanks for the morning laughs!! Peecee's, particularly those running Windoze, are mediocre at best no matter what the task at hand is. It's a platform that tries to do too many things - it does them all, but quite poorly. I'll take a specialized device or workstation ANY day over a lowest bidder bottom dollar crapbox peecee.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]fabregas[/nom]What is the next step for the PC? Remember all that talk about merging the PC with our home appliances, environmental control, security and entertainment systems. I still think its a good idea and for some reason has not been realized yet.[/citation]
Do you want your refrigerator getting infected with spyware and viruses? How about your toilet crashing and needing a reboot. Yeah.... no thanks.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]Can I have my money back for Vista please???[/citation]
Don't forget about Kin, the product that was on the market for not even a month before getting canceled. In fact, every microsoft product I've ever bought, all the way back to Windows NT workstation 3.51, left me with that exact same feeling of "can I have my money back please?"

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Ballmer is all pumped up about "smart devices" of which the PC currently holds top spot. Ozzie referred to "a moving away from traditional PCs with CD-installed programs, desktops, files and folders; shifting towards cloud-based continuous services and appliance-like connected devices enabling users to interact with those cloud-based services." I think Ozzie has the bigger picture and Ballmer is constantly at a lost, shifting focus from PC to smartphones to Xbox...

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"There's lots of innovation going on," he said.

I'd love to believe that, but it seems like it's been about 10 years since we've seen any real innovation from ANY I.T. related company. Since then it's been lots of minor incremental upgrades.

G

Tablet devices will replace PC's.
Ballmer is a sales guy who has no vision for Microsoft.
The day he quits, Microsoft will be better.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Don't forget about Kin, the product that was on the market for not even a month before getting canceled. In fact, every microsoft product I've ever bought, all the way back to Windows NT workstation 3.51, left me with that exact same feeling of "can I have my money back please?"[/citation]
For someone that hates microsoft/windows I have my doubts that you bought that many OS from them.

BlazeEagle

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2004
Firstly - Even if phones become as powerful as desktops, games, creation & editing of text documents, graphics work, ETC., ALL benefit from at least a reasonably sized screen.

Secondly - If portable devices such as phones, tablets, ETC. Ever become equal to desktops, They’ll still need a backup solution in case of hardware failure & most especially, THEFT of the portable device.

Thirdly - There’s uses for BOTH Desktops & portable devices. Each has it’s own niche to fill.

It’s good the brain frazzled Ozzie was fired because he’s out of touch with reality.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Hahahaha spoken like a true pimple faced still living in your parents basement teenage Tom's reader! Thanks for the morning laughs!! Peecee's, particularly those running Windoze, are mediocre at best no matter what the task at hand is. It's a platform that tries to do too many things - it does them all, but quite poorly. I'll take a specialized device or workstation ANY day over a lowest bidder bottom dollar crapbox peecee.[/citation]

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Don't forget about Kin, the product that was on the market for not even a month before getting canceled. In fact, every microsoft product I've ever bought, all the way back to Windows NT workstation 3.51, left me with that exact same feeling of "can I have my money back please?"[/citation]

You buy consumer PCs and pay for your MS licenses... Spoken like a true Apple consumer. lol

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]You are wrong on this one. It is not the power but the usability. Tablets will never be suitable for 3D CAD for example. There are many applications that will not be viable on small screens. I've personally lost my desktop 10 years ago. Since then I'm using laptops. We haven't bought a single desktop since probably 1998???I currently have a laptop and 22" monitor.[/citation]

It must be cool to have almost as much power/ram as my sound card?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
just more of the dumbiest speculation in an industry ful of stupid predictions. when they ahve smart phoens that pack teh power of a modern topend desk top , guess what you brain farts , there will be an even heavier wieght desk top tired of eharing peopel predict stupid futures , reminds me of the whole line of 1950's future predictions about cars. just more stupid drivel. even if pc dies off in the main stream many pc enthusiast will keep the market alive even if it is just for DIY hardware. pffft pc gonna die .. yeah i'll buy that when nerds , start getting ALL teh hot chicks like rappers do , or when pigs can fly , or when hell freezes over.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Of course PCs will die, the human race can't last forever If there isn't enough demand to keep PCs as a via le solution then there is a chance that they will stop being sold. AMD's Bobcat will most likely have enough speed for 80% of the people out there, but maybe the enthusiast market will be able to keep itself alive if there is enough money in it.[/citation]

jokes about humans demise aside , the enthusist market wont be the main driving force in pc even if other devices eat it up , lkeep in midn you cant run games , atuocad , adobe , photos hop , or any 3d modleign app ona freaking phoen ,evne if teh phone could handle the spec demands can you seriously imagine doing any of those task ona freacking device with crap contorls lieka phone and a tiny 2.5 inch screen. seriously this guy was just stickign hsi foot in his miouth to get a good alugh form folks or soemthign he can't be serious

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]You are wrong on this one. It is not the power but the usability. Tablets will never be suitable for 3D CAD for example. There are many applications that will not be viable on small screens. I've personally lost my desktop 10 years ago. Since then I'm using laptops. We haven't bought a single desktop since probably 1998???I currently have a laptop and 22" monitor.[/citation]

geezuz dude you seriously run auto cad and 3ds max on a laptup you must be very limited on what you can model before frames plumet , i got a really good desk top and even in max with it , when i go over 200K polys in my view port my frames start to plumet drastically .no way a lap top vid card compares to desk top vid card for view port rendering , this is not even mentioning when you catuly hit render to render your scen with all teh texture techs showing , on a quad core some of my readners can eat upwareds of 30m mins for a single frame.serioulys shoudl cosnider a desk top if you work in max or auto cad bro

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
To think that PCs will eventually go away causes shudders. There's nothing like one. No compromises, a real keyboard, a proper form factor. I think mobile devices will be merely supplementing PCs when mobility is required.

planchero

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I hope he is right. I love the freedom of having a pc and I mean that as a personal computer be it Windows, Linux, or Mac. It’s all about freedom. I love the idea about cloud computing and hope for its progression as well, however I have a hard time relying on it completely.

I know we have all had at least one experience with a favorite website going down or internet connectivity issues no matter how much more reliable things get it’s nice to have something in hand. It’s good to know where I work that if the internet goes down we can still do most of our work making my bosses money and keeping me in a job. There are days that Gmail has had problems all day imagine being shut down for a day because you can’t access your file.

For home I love having a base of operations to connect my laptops, cameras, phones, and when I need to I have the processing power to do work or play. So please go on with progression but it’s good to know that at least one person in Microsoft isn’t trying to drop support like so many others are for Personal Computers. Once again it’s all about freedom, my ability to keep what’s mine local as well as in the cloud, to not be dependent on a web service, to work or play regardless of connectivity.

phenom_x8

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
PC is still my concern today. Being a console gamer since 1994(NEs) then PC in 1998(in my junior high school lab with DOS,there is no legal windows in my country at this time), switch back to playstation 1 on early 2000, and then back to PC at the end of 2004 (with my own Pentium 4 2.4 GHz of course) till today, just dont wanna switch back to the old console!

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Most of the smart phones now already have GPS capabilities. I also hope that vehicles will become standardly equipped with radios that have the capability to connect with your phone. Also, I'd like to see the same integration system in mobile PCs that some car stereos have. That is, don't even require a cable, and with the touch of a couple of buttons, your mobile PC will find the nearest phone and sync with it.[/citation]
Umm thats just bluetooth...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833242003
Pair that with a software that does "Thus features" and for gps
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858179009
This Said and done both for using my netbook as an enhanced GPS device with active 3g internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.