Ballmer Promises Windows 7 Slates by End of Year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alienmadness

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
ipad will fail and get about 10% market share long term. Same happened with Apple and their mac hardware and Mac OS. Closed environment, long term garnered Apple to

alienmadness

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
pad will fail and get about 10% market share long term. Same happened with Apple and their mac hardware and Mac OS. Closed environment, long term garnered Apple to a consumer class gadget maker. While Google and MS allow open development and 3rd party hardware manufactures. deja vu.

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]A little late? Who cares, as long as it's better than everyone. It won't be better than the Ipad, it's battery life will be half or less of the Ipad, they will weigh anywhere from 50 -150% more , and will be acceptable to many Viruses. There is very little a Microsft based tablet can offer that's not already available in the Ipad. I understand that they want to compete, but they fell a sleep at the wheel again and are over a year behind Apple so it's highly unlikely that they will ever be close to the Ipad in features and Price.[/citation]

Won’t have anything to offer that isn’t on the iPad? Won’t be close in features or price? Are you really that dense to believe all of that?

Apple is almost ALWAYS pricing their products 50% higher than comparable products on the market, even if their product has inferior hardware. The iPad is a closed system which means you are limited to what you can do. Sure the W7 laptop won’t have a bunch of stupid apps you can download at the touch of a button, but you will actually be able to use it like a computer. You know… install/uninstall software, change OS, multi-task, the list goes on and on. Now not to bash the iPad, it does fill a niche market. But to pretend that it can do even half of what you could do with a real OS is a joke.

And as for the viruses… I always laugh at when Mac users throw this in my face. Macs are just as susceptible (not acceptable) to viruses and hacking as a PC, if not more. There simply isn’t as many viruses for Macs in the wild due to Apple’s low market share. Besides, using Avast Free and NoScript, I haven’t gotten a single virus in over 3 years and that includes me going to any and every website I want to. Just so you know, the more people you lure over to Macs means the higher likely hood that hackers/coders will begin writing viruses for OSx and just wait till the poo hits the fan with no real anti-virus.

Also, “A year behind Apple so it’s highly unlikely that they will be close to the iPad”… tell that to Google about their Android platform.

If you’re going to be a fanboi, at least get your facts straight and don’t just regurgitate what every other kid in your Graphic Design on a Mac 101 class says.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Bamslang[/nom]Won’t have anything to offer that isn’t on the iPad? Won’t be close in features or price? Are you really that dense to believe all of that? Apple is almost ALWAYS pricing their products 50% higher than comparable products on the market, even if their product has inferior hardware. The iPad is a closed system which means you are limited to what you can do. Sure the W7 laptop won’t have a bunch of stupid apps you can download at the touch of a button, but you will actually be able to use it like a computer. You know… install/uninstall software, change OS, multi-task, the list goes on and on. Now not to bash the iPad, it does fill a niche market. But to pretend that it can do even half of what you could do with a real OS is a joke.And as for the viruses… I always laugh at when Mac users throw this in my face. Macs are just as susceptible (not acceptable) to viruses and hacking as a PC, if not more. There simply isn’t as many viruses for Macs in the wild due to Apple’s low market share. Besides, using Avast Free and NoScript, I haven’t gotten a single virus in over 3 years and that includes me going to any and every website I want to. Just so you know, the more people you lure over to Macs means the higher likely hood that hackers/coders will begin writing viruses for OSx and just wait till the poo hits the fan with no real anti-virus. Also, “A year behind Apple so it’s highly unlikely that they will be close to the iPad”… tell that to Google about their Android platform. If you’re going to be a fanboi, at least get your facts straight and don’t just regurgitate what every other kid in your Graphic Design on a Mac 101 class says.[/citation]
+1 to that bro!
When 10 differant hardware companies all push out Win7 Tablets they will have to compete on price if they all use the same OS, only Sony will have a price premium as they are the Apple of the PC world, but they usually have the sexiest hardware too and i'm sure Sony is cooking up a tablet that will piss all over the iPad in the "looks good" department. Personally I dont worry about the good looks too much as long as it's functional and would happily have a slightly thicker tablet as long as I knew for a fact it was capable of playing back my ridiculously large collection of torrented TV and music, editting photo's, printing them, burning them onto DVDs, transfering to flashdrive or SD card.
PRINTING, OMG??
Can you print from an iPad? Really? How do you get the printer driver on it?

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Err, anyone who uses MS Office files like Word or Excel?So millions?[/citation]
Open office it is cheaper (free). Supports the same file types and is just as good if not better, and it uses less resources

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Requiemsallure[/nom]Open office it is cheaper (free). Supports the same file types and is just as good if not better, and it uses less resources[/citation]
OK so now you are arguing semantics, it's still an office program.
The ability to edit your documents is paramount for some people, if someone emails me an Excel or Word doc and I make some amendments and send back that is an everyday task for millions and millions of people.

You can't edit Word or Excel docs on the iPad, you can only view.

To do that you need a real OS, not a glorified Speak & Spell.

hongkongman

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Why? I just can't seem to feel enthusiastic about MS products the way I feel about Apple's and the Android's offerings. I wonder why?

G

I like the idea of a dockable tablet.
I like the idea of a dockable netbook even more!
Imagine a Netbook with an N450 processor, and a pcie plug on the bottom, so you can expand it with LAN, 6xUSB, keyb and mouse, Firewire, AND external graphics card!!!??

You might even be able to power and charge a netbook through a docking station.
Unfortunately noone ever dared to build the concept.
If they made room inside the docking station, to install any kind of expansion graphics card, a lot of people would love the idea!
Especially when having a dualcore netbook.

xenorm

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
The doctors at work are going to be excited about using these lightweight slates instead of their current "lightweight" tablets. I'll be more than happy prepare and configure them!

Status
Not open for further replies.