Ballmer: We're Not Leaving Any Space Uncovered to Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Good look to them with Windows 8. Windows 8 has nothing productive about it compared to Windows 7. Microsoft Surface is consumer product therefore good luck competing Apple in that area.

The first thing that came to mind is that this may be Ballmer's last best chance to save his reputation. This could be huge...if it works. Otherwise, it becomes just another Ballmer failure.
Sadly, the next thing that came to mind is that you can bet Apple is already polishing its lawyers to stifle anywhere they can.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Ballmer has now confirmed what we have long observed. They are more interested in chasing Apple than concentrating on what they do well. (normal Windows with Start Menu and Aero UI vs Metro and "Apps" etc)

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Good luck to all. May the best tablet win. This probably won't be the case but w/e. Hopefully this means better products for the consumer.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Make a better looking device and they might have a shot, right now apple makes the highest quality phone and tablet, it may not have latest specs but it feels far classier than the other plasticky junk on the market.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Microsoft just doesn't get. A tablet is nothing like a PC and consumers don't want it to be anything like a PC. That's why Tablet PC failed and that's why Surface Pro will fail. It will be too expensive, too heavy and too thick. The fact that it can run x86 applications means what, exactly? Is anybody going to drop $700 for Photoshop so they can run it on a 10" screen on a crippled ULV processor? That keyboard is nice in theory, but pointless, since you can't use that kickstand properly on your lap, so you need furniture to use the physical keyboard. That's some portability.

Surface RT will fail because it has nothing on Android tablets or the iPad. It will only have 1366x768, Tegra 3 (which will be almost a year old when RT is released), it will have relatively few apps to begin with, but it will be as expensive as the iPad and top-of-the-line Android tablets. It's a brand new software ecosystem, and a user interface that failed to materialize phone sales in Windows Phone 7 (and probably won't in WP8 either).

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Microsoft just doesn't get. A tablet is nothing like a PC and consumers don't want it to be anything like a PC. That's why Tablet PC failed and that's why Surface Pro will fail. It will be too expensive, too heavy and too thick. The fact that it can run x86 applications means what, exactly? Is anybody going to drop $700 for Photoshop so they can run it on a 10" screen on a crippled ULV processor? That keyboard is nice in theory, but pointless, since you can't use that kickstand properly on your lap, so you need furniture to use the physical keyboard. That's some portability.Surface RT will fail because it has nothing on Android tablets or the iPad. It will only have 1366x768, Tegra 3 (which will be almost a year old when RT is released), it will have relatively few apps to begin with, but it will be as expensive as the iPad and top-of-the-line Android tablets. It's a brand new software ecosystem, and a user interface that failed to materialize phone sales in Windows Phone 7 (and probably won't in WP8 either).[/citation]

I'm actually thinking about buying the x86 Surface haha. I need a portable "ultrabook" essentially to run some fairly light productivity tasks, and I'd like that same ultrabook to function like an e-reader/tablet for reading/annotating journal articles etc. I think the surface will go far in the scientific and medical world

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]leongrado[/nom]Good luck to all. May the best tablet win. This probably won't be the case but w/e. Hopefully this means better products for the consumer.[/citation]

CHEAPER prices for the consumer. that's all I care about. And if I can avoid an overpriced apple device, I will.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Good look to them with Windows 8. Windows 8 has nothing productive about it compared to Windows 7. Microsoft Surface is consumer product therefore good luck competing Apple in that area.[/citation]
In my company the head of Group Security used an iPad, tried to use it for business purposes, but in the end as he couldn't use Exchange and a few other Enterprise class tools it went back into gold stock.
Apple can't compete against Microsoft in that regard even against existing software that is 10 years old, Windows 8 will still allow all the good business honey to drip through and short of deliberately stealing Microsofts enterprise class IP they will never get into that part of the world
Ripping off the Beatles or Creative is one thing, Microsoft is one kid who won't stand there and let you steal his lunch money, he'll tear your f**king arm off and beat you to death with the wet end

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Is this character speaking normal? Some of the garbage this monkey says:
"We are trying to make absolutely clear we are not going to leave any space uncovered to Apple," "Not hardware software innovation." "We have good partners with Nokia, HDC in the phone space. I love what we've got going on with the Surface. We are going to focus on Surface and our other Windows 8 tablet partners and see if we can go make something happen."

His ideas are all over the place. "see IF something happens"?! "Trying"? Its like they are throwing darts at a wall and see what sticks. Yeah, they are hitting Apple in all markets.
ZUNE = FAIL
WP6 = FAIL
WP7 = FAILING
Tablets = 11 Years of FAIL (okay, fine in limited markets)
Streaming device = none (AppleTV is doing okay)
Win8 = Most likely to fail

they'll only be available through Microsoft.com and Microsoft retail stores

Wow... so, the ONLY way to buy these AWESOME devices is from MS online or at a store that doesn't exists. okay, there are 25~30 stores in the world. (Apple has 364 world wide). Wow, they pretty much copied the Apple store style... how original.

Okay, so I have to drive about 300miles to actually see the APPLE killer device (that is not out yet) to so see if its worth buying... Because the MS Tablet is SOOO damn cool, its only available from Microsoft.

Meanwhile, you can buy a iPads and iPhones (some other Android tablets & phones) at: Best buy, Frys and pretty much any retail shop INCLUDING Walmart!

Wow, I feel the energy!

G

This has FAIL written all over it!

I see ballmer leaving after this fiasco!

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]This has FAIL written all over it!I see ballmer leaving after this fiasco![/citation]

Some would argue he should have left a long time ago or at least stepped to the side with a less important role. It's a shame Bill will never return, right now it seems like MSFT is struggling with an identity in this modern environment from all fronts. Still making bookoo bucks so it's probably allowing MSFT to continue to make these mistakes even if it's ultimately holding them back.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
The Windows Phones were failures, that I'll admit. But working for a cellphone company in the U.S I can say the Lumia 710 is one of the most popular phones, and the trade-in offers usually are people trading in their old iPhones. I don't believe that has anything to do with fanboy-ism or anything like that, but people genuinely enjoy their Lumia phones. So the concept is there, it's just hard for it to hang on in a market that has been run by the iPhone for so long. Android managed to pull it off because Google had a pretty clear reputation prior to Android's launch. Microsoft on the other hand suffers from negative feedback before the product even releases. Sometimes for good reason, I know. But now a days, mostly fanboy-ism.

Despite that, I'll be interested to see how the surface manages. I've steered clear of the tablet market, but I'm guilty of purchasing a few netbooks here and there for the pure mobility of them. So maybe I'll take this chance to give them a try in an environment I'm familiar with; Windows.

Who knows. A lot of people don't want to leave Windows because of it's wide spread adaptation and most of us grew up with it. Maybe this will give the rest of us a reason to 'give it a go!'

I'll purchase one, just to see.

G

I am working at Microsoft but I had never seen or touched the Surface until recently. I don't have a Windows phone. I do have an XBox. I am definitely, absolutely buying Surface Pro for myself and the ARM version for my wife and kids (as a bookreader and educational/gaming device).

It will all depend on the price, which I have no clue about. I just hope they give us employees some discount, lol.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
MS been in the position of playing catch up for a long time now. MS is not as innovative in the consumer electronics segment as Apple, Google, and Samsung. Mainly because it was focused on software (XBox aside) and relied on partners to develop hardware and again nothing innovative there. Luckily for MS they have the money to try and compete after other companies release innovative hardware.

Aside from Kinect I dont recall MS releasing anything innovative. Sure MS tablet will most likely compete but it is not innovative because it is a late comer to a highly dominated tablet market. Time will tell the out come. Until then, innovative companies like Apple will hopefully thrive so us consumers will have great products to enjoy! *Here comes the negative votes from Apple hipster haters :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]royale_aus[/nom]It's hardly innovation when they're playing catch up.[/citation]
Apple have been saying the same about OSX vs Windows for years, they have been playing catchup in marketshare, are you saying there is no innovation in OSX?

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
its amazing how people always says "always playing catchup" on numerous tech articles when one company is not meeting the consumer demands. What different does that make when both companies are making money. You people make it sound like there is no room for re adjusting or a "new player" to try to grab that piece of the pie. Unbelievable!!.

[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]This has FAIL written all over it!
I see ballmer leaving after this fiasco![/citation]
I have to wonder if Ballmer was given an ultimatum, or forced to agree; either this does VERY well, or he's out.
I think there's a lot of potential here, if only because of the familiarity of Windows. As long as it isn't a heavy, bulky slug with poor battery life, I'm thinking this could actually be something. Whether or not I like to bash Microsquishy (and/or Apple), I'm going to hope this thing succeeds.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]The first thing that came to mind is that this may be Ballmer's last best chance to save his reputation. This could be huge...if it works. Otherwise, it becomes just another Ballmer failure.Sadly, the next thing that came to mind is that you can bet Apple is already polishing its lawyers to stifle anywhere they can.[/citation]

Microsoft vs. Apple lawsuit. Heh.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Make a better looking device and they might have a shot, right now apple makes the highest quality phone and tablet, it may not have latest specs but it feels far classier than the other plasticky junk on the market.[/citation]
Isn't It funny how most of that plastic junk can survive a two foot drop much better. :)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Microsoft just doesn't get. A tablet is nothing like a PC and consumers don't want it to be anything like a PC. That's why Tablet PC failed and that's why Surface Pro will fail. It will be too expensive, too heavy and too thick. The fact that it can run x86 applications means what, exactly? Is anybody going to drop $700 for Photoshop so they can run it on a 10" screen on a crippled ULV processor? That keyboard is nice in theory, but pointless, since you can't use that kickstand properly on your lap, so you need furniture to use the physical keyboard. That's some portability.Surface RT will fail because it has nothing on Android tablets or the iPad. It will only have 1366x768, Tegra 3 (which will be almost a year old when RT is released), it will have relatively few apps to begin with, but it will be as expensive as the iPad and top-of-the-line Android tablets. It's a brand new software ecosystem, and a user interface that failed to materialize phone sales in Windows Phone 7 (and probably won't in WP8 either).[/citation]

You speak for some not all. They didnt fail for me other then being under powered small screan devices with absolutly no storage space. I would love a REAL computer tablet. However the only one i see right now thats worth it is the samsung series 7 slate. Being Not to crippling more expensive then say a64 gig xy board 10 inch selling retail at almost $800 the salte isnt a pos toy like the ipad or the google tablets.. It does real work does real things with real software.. reason i dont go for this one is well i was hoping for more usb ports maybe :/ and at least 256 drive space. everythign else other then the intel graphics which im sure is fine for a tablet kinda bug me. I would preffer this over a laptop for on the go use.. Laptops and netbooks are to bulky. Dont care for the having to flip them open and i could mount this unlike the other options. Which is kinda why tablets are working now. Honestly the only reason i think apple sold the ipad was timing.. MS did the tablet way to soon and didnt wait for the market to want or need them. Also alot of people have this thing with how the OS works in a touch environment. Personaly i think the MS tablets will sell vary well for those who dont need a toy and need a real computing device to use real software and do real work. The rest can have thier over priced picture frames that can download usless apps.

[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Code for we have copied or are about to copy everything Apple does.[/citation]

what exaclty has apple done anyways? that isnt a total copy i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.