Bandai Namco Shows Off Gamescom Trailer For 'Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they have a PC demo of this as I'd like to see how much of a sim vs. arcade flight combat game this is. I got spoiled early on with the Jane's hard core combat flight sims between 1998-1999 (Longbow 2, F-15, F-18). Those were serious sims and you had to study a 120+ page manual to learn how to manage the systems and weapons....like the real thing. Now I just have FSX with Saitek's X52 HOTAS controller for fighters and helicopters and CH Products flight yoke and rudder pedals for regular aircraft.

I guess those days are gone in this era of short attention span gamers who would rather just jump in the cockpit while airborne and shoot at stuff.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
@10TACLE, let me save you some time then - this is the Ace Combat series, and a game supposedly returning to the series' rots, so there will be little sim aspect to this game. Control is simplified, payload is vastly expanded, and general relative performance between aircraft is highly, compressed. It should still be a really fun game, but a Sim like you described, it is not.

Thank you for the info DRosencraft. I'd just like to know if they have a "sim" option in realism settings or something like War Thunder for the PS4 which is what I use a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 solely with. I'm still interested though having never played any of those series before and my PS4 friends who I played War Thunder with are looking at it.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Never treat Ace Combat series like a flight sim... Think more like Sega Top Gun arcade in cockpit view with little bit better flight model, amazing graphics + a cheesy story line and nice girls in the game... It is like Need for Speed series for fighter jets.

If you want a modern version of Jane's combat flight sim, go take a look DCS World.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

You probably need that 600+ pages manual to fly that A10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WyYA0pjUKw

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Sounds great but it's totally fantasy. Any plane that could do what orange wings does would put the pilot in GLOC in seconds. The future of highly maneuverable fighters is remotely piloted.

Well that's the difference between arcade flying games vs. combat flight sims. Even the old Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator series simulated G-lock by blacking out the screen if you pulled too many G's in a WWII fighter. FSX replicates that as well in fighters.

Regarding high maneuver fighters, the days of close visual dog fighting died two decades ago with the 5th gen fighters (F-22 first, then the F-35, and soon Russia's upcoming Su-57). I don't think we'll ever see completely pilot-free military aviation in our lifetime. Drones are doing strategic close air support missions as well as intelligence loitering missions, but they will not be replacing the full mission capabilities of big hardware anytime soon (IE: the big guns and big bombs).

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I'm a big believer in a rounded gaming environment - having different games out there that reasonably fill different niches. Unfortunately I believe the gaming industry has grown old enough that it's hard for smaller niches like that for Ace Combat and for more dedicated flight sims to survive, let alone thrive. I think Ace Combat is the only title right now that fills its niche in terms of being an arcade style flight combat game that features a wide array of aircraft to choose from, with discernible differences between aircraft, not just different skins on the same behavior package. That being said, the last game that was anything remotely like that on the flight sim side was Flight Sim X from Microsoft. Who knows if or when another great flight sim will come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.