Banned awhile back... invalid reason and kinda confused.

Construkt

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
So I was banned awhile back for "gaming the vote system" which was actually a shock to me when I logged on my email one day and saw that my answers to virtually all of the threads that I was active in were voted best answer... which was odd because some of them were questions or comments, not answers. Then I noticed a couple of other people who had been mass upvoted too, and I thought maybe there was some time limiter thing that selected the last answer if nothing had been chosen or posted to end dead threads.

I shrugged it off, though it was nothing.

I was posting some affiliate links as well (which I realize now isn't allowed), and I was messaged from a moderator I assume to please cease doing so, and to report anyone else who did. I agreed and started reporting the others who were posting.

This apparently was a mistake. As soon as I reported the other posts, I was suspended and told that my own advertising had been noticed as well (keep in mind I had ceased posting said links), and that I was going to be banned for gaming the vote system... which again, I have no idea how or why you would need to do that.

I thought I was doing my best to comply to the rules of the forums, and got banned for it after the fact. Then I came back to read again, and noticed I could still post. I still can to this day, but I can't send private messages.

So do I deserve to be banned or can I get my PM permissions back? I was messaged a couple times after this whole thing went down and I just can't respond. I find this really odd.

Solution
You're most welcome. If anything like this should come up again, feel free to PM me, or (if you can't do that) send an email to community@tomshardware.com and somebody—probably me—will look into it. Now, venture forth and enjoy the forums once again!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Looked into it, looks like there is a bit of confusion. The ban was not warranted, as it should have been deemed a mistake upon further investigation. I can go into further detail on the matter if you'd like, but for the moment, I've lifted the ban. You should be able to use the forums freely again.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
You're most welcome. If anything like this should come up again, feel free to PM me, or (if you can't do that) send an email to community@tomshardware.com and somebody—probably me—will look into it. Now, venture forth and enjoy the forums once again!

Solution