Banned or not banned?

iwillruinyou

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Hello!

I have a rather strange issue. A couple of days ago I noticed a message "You have been banned" while trying to reply to a post in one of my threads. To clarify, I don't use VPN or create fake accounts to "award" myself the best answers. In fact, I don't think I have broken any rules of the forum or offended anyone in my posts, therefore I'm not sure why I was banned in the first place.

However, this message only shows when I'm trying to reply to a post or start a new thread from my home computer. I can still do these things while using a computer at my workplace. So what does it mean? Am I banned or not? Am I IP banned? And if I am, then why?

No moderator has contacted me or informed me about the reason behind this. I tried to send a message to "jpishgar" who is apparently a community manager, but he hasn't replied to me either. Anyway, I hope that there is some way to resolve this because I really like this forum and I would like to keep enjoying it from my original account (the one I'm using right now).

Cheers,
Ruiner

Solution
Hey! Sorry you haven't heard back from jpishgar. As Senior Community Manager, he's often swamped with reports and meetings and such. These days, I'm usually the one on the ground level, dealing with the day to day. My name is Kevin, for future reference, and you are more than welcome to reach out to me if you have any issues like this.

To get back to your current problem, it is possible that you have come across an IP ban. From a brief look, it seems as if you cycle through a number of IPs; chances are that when you ran into that message, you were trying to post from an IP that was previously banned. It doesn't necessarily mean that you yourself have been banned, or that you have done anything out of the ordinary. We've banned...

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Hey! Sorry you haven't heard back from jpishgar. As Senior Community Manager, he's often swamped with reports and meetings and such. These days, I'm usually the one on the ground level, dealing with the day to day. My name is Kevin, for future reference, and you are more than welcome to reach out to me if you have any issues like this.

To get back to your current problem, it is possible that you have come across an IP ban. From a brief look, it seems as if you cycle through a number of IPs; chances are that when you ran into that message, you were trying to post from an IP that was previously banned. It doesn't necessarily mean that you yourself have been banned, or that you have done anything out of the ordinary. We've banned thousands of IPs over the years while fighting spammers.

Next time you run into that issue, try to take note of what your current IP address is. Send that information to me via PM so that I can investigate whether it is safe to unban that IP.

Solution

Noldemor

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Honestly im guessing you should ask a Moderator instead of the manager, that is the same as asking the manager about a price of a flatscreen in the tech store, where you should have asked the cashier.

Else, i have no idea why you could be banned, but a good idea is to read through the Terms and Conditions to make sure you didnt violate any rules.