Barcy to launch with 2 choices in September

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I swear I edited my post from 20% advantage to "clock for clock it wins over core2quad" but I guess I either forgot and thought I did or it didnt work. But either way, obviously clock for clock they are going to win over current core2quads :D Next gen intel is a different story. Theres also the fact taht they'll win clock for clock, but their max clock is going to be limited, whereas most can clock the core2duos/quads up past 3.6ghz.

Anyways, stop the "wait until it comes out" crap, you sound so silly. What is life without speculation? And you arent anyone to tell people that they cannot speculate. Opinions to your "meaningless" little brain GeOMan are opinions nonetheless and people are allowed to say them.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hat,

You are not so smart for passing clock for clock either. You do not know.

So if you state it as speculation that is fine. However you did NOT add a disclaimer. This is bad for the folks stop by here read your comment and then go away thinking that it is true.

So yeah I think those who are waiting for actuals are pretty smart.

Speculation is fun and all but it is NO substitute for actuals.

You have NO IDEA how Barcy will perform other than data provided by the company itself with simulated results against an older offering and you make comments like above?

I'll let the others here decide who is smart and who is not.

Thanks for playing.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
PS...

Speculation should always be prefaced with "I Think" or "Maybe it will" or something similar to those words. A comment written without similar words would read as if it WERE fact.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
What? I said I meant to edit my post before, or didn't you read that bit?

If we're talking about something that isnt out yet isnt it going to be speculation?

And they are going to beat the current core2quads clock for clock. Fud is the only site taht sais that I belive but still its going to be pretty obvious they are..

from Fudzilla:

Clock to clock, but can it beat Penryn?

We saw some documents that shows that AMD's Phenom X4 is wining over the K8 X2 dual core marchitecture in games, next generation games, video encoding and decoding and finally rendering.

The most interesting part was that in all of these applications AMD claims a slight advantage over Intel's Core 2 Quad, but only at the same clock. This claim should be true if you compare the Core 2 Quad at 3GHz versus a 3GHz Phenom X4.

"The big question is how K10 compares to Penryn, as we've heard that some Chinese colleagues that tested one got a huge performance increase from the new 45 nanometre core."

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Then we have people on here writing purposed performance numbers based upon 3xnum of processors without taking into any account scalability of THE PROCESSOR, THE OS and THE APPLICATION.

You see the scalability of one is only as good as the scalability of the other. So if you add a second core/proc you do not get a 2:1 boost in performance. Some of the best scalability I have seen is the DEC ALPHA, OSF boxes which on certain applications and using 64bit OSF would scale at best @ 1.8:1.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
lol ches111

yea, i know i said basically the same thing as you, but it needs to be said.

THG has way to many forum threads that are about unreleased, untested products, and all they basically do is turn into a bunch of AMD/Intel, nVidia/ATI fanboys yelling at each other and saying stuff like OMG, my stuff so rocks, and your stuff so sux!!!!

To all fanboys, please stop waisting you're breath, nobody but the equally fanatical fanboy on the other side of your viewpoint acutally cares.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006

Quoted ya for accuracy here.

So,

As you state it FUD (A known site to spew garbage without any back up at all) said that Barcy (a processor not yet released for anyone to review/bench) is faster clock for clock than Penryn which is (a processor not yet released for anyone to review/bench).

That is classic. And the best part is you just take their word for it. :) Classic

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
PS... Hat,

In case you have not seen/understood it:

FUD is a PRO AMD site. They are NOT an unbiased reference by any means. This is like going to AMDZone to ask about the performance of Penryn against Barcy. :lol:

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Try re-reading, your so quick to post you dont bother reading things, I didnt say I beliveed Fud at all I said that i belived it was the only site to post saying that it(phenom) beats it(core2quad) clock for clock.

So now whos the one laughing at the other, mate, so quick to post, no wonder your post count is so high you post like 3times in a row in like 10seconds. Havent you ever heard of edit?

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Now your upset because I can type?

I did read what you posted and it is all still very much speculation.

No doubt about it.

If you have solid references then please do tell..

So far the only information posted by anyone of substance was AMD themselves and that was mere speculation on their part as well. They provided simulated numbers. That is the facts as they stand now.

As soon as Barcy launches or Engineering Samples are provided for Hardware review sites we are just speculating. The same thing can be said about Penryn. It is just speculation too.

Actuals are where its at...

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
... holey cow, that was like 9 new posts in the time it took me to type one.

and another thread gets my sage wisdom, i think we should all drink more beer and as a result relax a bit more :)

My toast is to eternal CPU price wars and better prices and performance for everybody!!

now chess111 and Hatman, you both have to come up with something great about this CPU price war :)

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Well, I read AMD are cutting their prices again, which i thought was a bit weird since they apparantly called off the price war with Intel?

Comes with their brand new and compeltly pointless 6400+ though :D

And yeh mate it IS all speculation, but obviously, its reasonable to assume that the new AMD products clock for clock are going to beat the current Intel products, core2duo core2qquad etc. But I personally doubt they are going to beat the "yet unrealeased" Intel CPU's.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
What price war :)

I think it is a heavy move on Intels part to try and draw attention away from/make it difficult for AMD and their new product launch.

What I find interesting is, with the supposed release of the Barcy coming soon, why release the 6400 and then do a price cut. Seems to me that they are just doing some very tight scrutinization of the bins so they can release the 6400 as a gap product.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Yep it sure does :D

Saw that before, didnt look at it properly then though, seems it gets on average a 5 - 10% boost, excluding things where the SSE4 makes the difference huge, (IE 100%+ gains).

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007

I really do feel sorry for AMD, because they really do make a great product. Intel is Tiger Woods....if you're any other golfer, WTF are you gonna do? No matter what, you're pretty much resigned to runner up.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
To be honest though I do not yet trust the CPU-Z as there were other reports of CPU-Z shots that were disproven by the devs of the application. I would have to see that they support the detection of the Wolfdale accurately...

Looks good though... I am a skeptic till I am able to see trend data.

:) The skeptic in me :)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

no suprise there....HKEPC is when a lot of info originates from...which is later presented by THG, Anand, xbit etc.

Look at the chart though....its the first Ive heard of an Intel "Wolfdate" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uhhhh....that 1080P Mpeg 2 to Mpeg4 really skews they average though.....

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007

C'mon, guys. Speculation, FUD, and simulated benches are half the fun. :D

I mean, just look. Ridgeback in 2H 2008 :

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2214&Itemid=35

Besides, Fuad assures us his sources are well informed :D That's the 1st thing the article states!

I sincerely expect some replies to this post with estimated clock frequencies, clock-for-clock comparisons to Wolfdate, and prices! :lol:

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I have never had a Wolfdate. I don't think we would be compatible and to be honest I really do not want to find out ;)

That would just be wrong..

By the way I have heard rumors that the CPU-Z shown in HKEPC may be OK (as in cpu-Z has early support for the Wolfdate) ;)...

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
jwlangs you just Shanghai'd this whole thread, right onto the next generation of CPU!!!

(bad pun fully intended)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

HKEPC does not have a rep a as a FUD site, unlike the Inq and FUDzilla. I generally trust HKEPC, but I always like verification by multiple sources. Its funny, guys will use links to multiple sources to validate claims in posts, and many times those sources are actually getting their info from HKEPC...kind of defeats the 'multple source' quoting.

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007

Turpit, are you talking about the fact that every other AMDzone article on their website is a link to an Inq or a FUD article? That s*** is funny to me! How can the self proclaimed "Real #1 Source For AMD News" legitimately site so much tech tabloid Fud? It's like the appearance of it on these web sites is the first AMD has even heard of it! You seriously just can't beat this s***.

And I know I already posted this on another thread and you replied (seemingly to call out BM :D) with severe agitation, but dude, I've just got to post it one more time just for the sheer entertainment value. FUD is announcing the "soft launch" of Phenom!

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2381&Itemid=35

Seriously, people! You can't deny the hilarity of this stuff, pure entertainment!