Build Advice Barebones Deskmini or ITX build for HTPC?

Jul 13, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm planning to build an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G HTPC for a web server, media streamer, and some light gaming. I'm really conflicted between using an Asrock Deskmini 300 (about 150 US) or building an ITX PC using an Asrock B450 ($110), Thermaltake V1 (30 at Frys), and a Corsair CX 450W PSU (40) totaling 180 for the same components. With the ITX build, I will be able to have more USB ports, a PCIE slot so I can add maybe a better graphics card/Thunderbolt card in the future, and be overall more future proof. With the deskmini however, I will have a low profile PC I can take anywhere and be much less of a hassle overall. Is the ITX build worth the 40 dollar price increase or should I get the Asrock Deskmini?

I have storage so I will not need to buy

ITX Build

Mobo: Asrock B450
Case: Thermaltake V1
PSU: Corsair CX 450W
CPU: 2200G
RAM: cheapest I can find

Deskmini Build (40 less)

Asrock Deskmini
CPU: 2200G
RAM: cheapest sodimm I can buy

Thanks!

Last edited:
Personally, I would go for the htpc as the warranty period is much longer and will be more viable for the long term, but it will be more clunky and if you really intend to move around a fair bit, I can see the appeal of the deskmini. I'd imagine that the cpu cooler supplied with the deskmini will be fine for normal non intensive tasks for the 2200g, but with gaming, there will probably be some thermal issues, if you can, modify the stock cooler to fit in the deskmini or get a lower profile cooler.