Base System Device Problem - Sony Vaio VGC-JS160J

ksg1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
I recently reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium x64 on my computer.

I have downloaded the needed drivers, but I can't seem to find what "Base System Device" is. It still has the yellow exclamation point symbol.

I have already downloaded the Ricoh SD/MMC Memory Card Driver, and it did not fix this problem.

The only information I have on it is:

Hardware lds:

pci\ven_1180&dev_0592&SUBSYS_9044104d&rev_12
pci\ven_1180&dev_0592&SUBSYS_9044104D
pci\ven_1180&dev_0592&CC_088000
pci\ven_1180&dev_0592&CC_0880

Someone please help me... It's driving me insane.

Solution

VIAO's pretty much require everything (other than the extra software stuff) marked as either a driver or library. When you download each driver there is a prerequisites list (usually on the right hand side) that gives the order of installation for that particular module. If you install out of order you will have to go back and install the prereqs before reinstalling the driver else it won't...

ksg1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Could you perhaps provide me a link? I'm kind of afraid to just pick and download a driver for a computer that's not only different, but also another brand.

At work right now, can't access most download sites through the firewall. I'm assuming that you've already been here (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGCJS160J&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab) and installed all (yes all) of the drivers, libraries, and software listed? Be very aware of the various prereq alerts that show up on the individual download pages, order of installation is critical.

ksg1

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
I admit I have not installed all, but I did download all the ones which got rid of the other device errors.
I just can't seem to get rid of the "base system device." I don't just want to download all the drivers and have it not fix the problem, plus it requires a bit of restarts--and my computer is prone to overheating, and I don't want it to go through all that stress.
It's already too late for installing in order, because I wasn't aware there was even an order.
What I'm worried about the most is if it's okay to upgrade to Vista Service Pack 2 while still having this "base system device" issue.

--I guess another thing I want to know is if it is really necessary to download everything on that page?

VIAO's pretty much require everything (other than the extra software stuff) marked as either a driver or library. When you download each driver there is a prerequisites list (usually on the right hand side) that gives the order of installation for that particular module. If you install out of order you will have to go back and install the prereqs before reinstalling the driver else it won't work. You can safely update to SP2 before fixing.

Solution