[SOLVED] Basic desktop for my mom

Jan 15, 2021
So, I need a new low-end desktop for my mom. Basic usage like multimedia, surfing, basic MS work...
I need to choose between:

AMD PRO A4-3350B (4x2 Ghz)
Geil 8 GB DDR 3, 1600 MHz
240 GB SSD SATA3

AMD® Athlon™ Dual Core 3000G, 3,5 GHz
AMD® Radeon RX Vega™ 3 Graphics
APACER DIMM DDR4 4 GB 2666MHZ

Solution
So, I need a new low-end desktop for my mom. Basic usage like multimedia, surfing, basic MS work...

240 GB SSD SATA3

Second one of course. It's miles ahead. Could also be upgraded if necessary, first one is dead end from several years ago even if you can find parts new.

240 GB SSD SATA3

Second one of course. It's miles ahead. Could also be upgraded if necessary, first one is dead end from several years ago even if you can find parts new.

Reactions: kryo92
Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What kind of budget are you working with? Why would you be shopping such old systems?

Personally wouldn't consider anything older than around 4-5th gen Intel or 1st gen Ryzen. In no way shape or form would I consider anything from the "a" "fx" etc. line for AMD. A meager tablet would perform better than anything you have listed above.

Jan 15, 2021
Well my mom doesn't want to spend more than 200€ and she basically need something for casual surfing and multimedia, and those are only available in the price range.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I don't know what the purchase solution is for such machines in your locale. Here in the US, eBay is covered up with business refurbs along the lines of Dell and HP.
You should readily be able to find an i5, 4th gen, 8GB of RAM, and windows license on a HDD for just over $100.

For instance: search "Dell Optiplex" and look for 30/70/90 10,20,30 (ie Dell Optiplex 7020) Small form factor always sells cheaper because of a lack of upgrade path.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021
Well, believe it or not, here in Serbia, electronics is more expensive than anywhere in Europe, like everything is from 50-200€ pricier even more, than anywhere else. Because of the huge taxes.

And if you wish to order something from out of the country, then you have to add customs fees which can add 30% or more on the order.

So you are buying less good stuff for a more money, while elsewhere you would be able to afford something better.

Reactions: punkncat
Do you love your mom?
Add some of your own funds to buy something good.

As to your first two choices, I would consider #1.

First of all, 4gb is too small and that is what your other options have.

Yes, the processor, itself is not as capable, but a 240gb ssd is included.
A ssd makes all the difference in the world to a desktop user.
It will compensate for a slower processor.

The G4920 is dual core, a 4 core processor , even a slower one is better.

There has to be some better options for you out there.
Life is too short to put up with a slow pc.

Do you love your mom?

As to your first two choices, I would consider #1.

First of all, 4gb is too small and that is what your other options have.

Yes, the processor, itself is not as capable, but a 240gb ssd is included.
A ssd makes all the difference in the world to a desktop user.
It will compensate for a slower processor.

The G4920 is dual core, a 4 core processor , even a slower one is better.

There has to be some better options for you out there.
Life is too short to put up with a slow pc.

brother life is too short in serbia lol, not sure if he's gonna have too many viable options

Reactions: kryo92
Jan 15, 2021
Do you love your mom?

Hah, well I bought her a new 300€ Xiaomi for New Year, and shortly after that I bought 1+ Nord for me, so holidays spent my budget quite a bit.
So now, sadly, I can't go on a stretch for a better desktop which she really doesn't require to be as good or fast, just basic and funcional.

Last one was AMD Athlon 5150 4 x 1.6 Ghz w. ATI Radeon HD 8400, and 4GB DDR4 RAM, and it run W10 just fine for her needs.

So really it hasn't to be much better than that.

Consider upgrading the current pc by changing over to a ssd.
A samsung 860 evo at 240gb is not expensive.
You want a ssd large enough to hold the current used portion of the C crive.
Use the samsung ssd migration app to easily transition.

Such a ssd can be carried forward to whenever you do another upgrade.

Jan 15, 2021
Well, not a option sadly, psu managed somehow to make a mess, and mobo died. But it served pretty well for its low price, 7 years almost.

I've ordered
AMD 3000G w. AMD Radeon RX Vega 3
ASUS PRIME A320M-K
240 GB SSD

It's exactly 200€, and if it does the job the same way as old one, my mom will be certainly happy.