Question Basic Micro Computer questions. Can a MC use an iPad as Monitor or automatically run programs upon startup?

Jun 5, 2019
I'm researching basic Window's based micro computers to run my band's lighting software remotely. Currently, the software is on my mac air that sits on the stage floor connected to an iPad on my mic stand. I run the Duet mirror app so I can keep the laptop closed, and hid as much as possible, but yet still be able to see the program on my iPad.

I'm thinking of investing in a micro computer to completely hide underneath my pedalboard. Could I still use the iPad as a monitor using the Duet app? Or would I need something like a VGA to lightning cable? Is it possible to automatically open Duet and the lighting software during boot up without a monitor (just using an iPad)? I'd like to not be able to have an actual monitor on my mic stand but I guess I could sell the iPad and get a small, portable monitor.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

There are ways to boot a Windows PC without a monitor, and make it start a program. You should check with your iPad Duet whether they support Windows. Otherwise you have to make a on-stage WiFi network, connect both iPad and the PC to it, and use remote desktop software to control the PC.

But I'd say it will be easier if you get small HDMI touch-screen monitor. Or get Mac Mini, and keep using the iPad.

Jun 5, 2019
Duet will work with Windows on an iPad. I was looking at the mac mini's but the lighting software requires macOS 10.7 (or better) or Windows 10. The used mac mini's with that OS were much more expensive than a new Micro Computer with Windows 10.

To open Duet and the lighting software on startup, would I just need to do a shell:startup function??

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yes. You would need to make sure that your software is set to fully boot at start up as well as that you need to make sure that you have an offline/local user account created on Windows without a password so that it will boot straight to the desktop and not try to prompt for any login info.

but of course you would initially need to setup your Windows OS and settings using a monitor first, after that you can just stash it somewhere connected to a network either wired or wireless (preferably wired) and then press the power button to boot it up.

Along with your setup in windows, you will want to go into the power settings and go to the option for changing what the power button does, and set it to shut down when pressed so that you get a proper software initiated shutdown of the PC when you go to turn it off without having a mouse, keyboard, and monitor.