Basic RAID for PC/workstation

Baloo67

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
As a newcomer to RAID: can I configure a PC/workstation as follows?
1) Boot & programm HD without any RAID
2) Data disks (2x) in RAID 1

Many thanks!

Solution
You really get very little security. Disk failures are very uncommon and you run a HIGH risk of data loss during the rebuild because they frequently go awry. Get some good backup software like Acronis and schedule backups daily. That is the only way IMO that you get any data security. Multiple copies and multiple versions.

kanewolf

Titan
Probably. But you will get more security for your data by using the two drives as separate volumes and having a good backup scheme. You can keep multiple versions or incremental backups. If data is corrupted or deleted in a RAID1 you have lost your data. Backups are are better for data security.

Baloo67

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
Thanks for the answer. The internal RAID is meant to have some continuous data security, while running an external backup disk just once in a while. My experience is that data security is less affected by the technical possibilities but by the efforts to be taken. That means, that any additional step to secure data will porbably not be done when necessary.

The non-RAID disk is for OS, programs (recoverable) and temporary data, in order to achieve reasonable system performance (I am not a gamer, extreme performance is not required).

PS: I intend to use an HP workstation (e.g. 400 series) with built-in RAID controller

kanewolf

Titan
You really get very little security. Disk failures are very uncommon and you run a HIGH risk of data loss during the rebuild because they frequently go awry. Get some good backup software like Acronis and schedule backups daily. That is the only way IMO that you get any data security. Multiple copies and multiple versions.

Solution