Basic Razer keyboards - Synapse required?

jason11

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I'm interested in a Razer keyboard (Deathstalker Essential), and was wondering if they're plug-and-play, or if you have to download synapse. At the least, I'd like the option to use pnp.

The Deathstalker Essential is a basic keyboard with no macro keys etc, just a basic layout with a few functions on the F keys... which 'in theory' should be pnp.

biopolar

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I currently have the Deathstalker Elite.

When I installed it, it was PnP. It seems Synpase is an option that includes more advanced options for the keyboard in terms of setting macros, ghosting keys, game mode, etc. Once you plug it in windows will detect it and download its drivers for you.

As far as I am concerned Synapse for the keyboard does not need to be running or installed in order to use your keyboard.

keyboards and mice are PnP devices. you can use them with the generic windows drivers.

now, what do you get with drivers (synapse)? for mice you get keymapping, profiles, dpi adjustment and led adjustment. for keyboards and gamepads you get keymapping,, profiles, led adjustment and can use any of the special extra keys they may have put on the board (otherwise anything other than standard keys would not work).

for a "standard" keyboard, drivers really are not required. for "gaming keyboards with EXTRA keys" i would suggest drivers.

also of note: some "older" razer products still use drivers not synapse. this is true of my 3.5g deathadder and things like the old razer nostromo. i preferred them over synapse (since you dont need an account or any of that bs) but i've been using synapse now for a bit (for tartarus which needs it) and its bearable and doesnt get in my way.