'Batman: Arkham Knight' System Requirements

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you did, and I read a little too fast and skimmed that part. However, I think you're downplaying just how nice that faster loading time is. I too have GW2, and loading zones in 7 sec instead of 25 contributes greatly to my overall enjoyment of the game. Same goes for Mass Effect, XCOM, and a host of others.

This is also true, and it can be from a myriad of reasons. Mass Effect 2 actually did benefit, but every loading screen was hard coded to play at least one full animation. Until I removed the load screen movies with blank images, I didn't get to enjoy that speed. I don't know what D3's problem may be as I don't have that game, but why bring up the outlier? Are you going to abandon SSD gaming altogether just because a few titles don't care about it?

Old? Well yes, LotRO is, and I even said as much. Skyrim may be old-ish, but it's definitely still common. And I was talking about modded textures, which are definitely current. And Shadow of Mordor is less than a year old. What you missed is me comparing the relative size growth of hi-res textures. In the past ten years they've grown from 1GB to about 5GB. So why does it make sense that suddenly jumps from 5 to 20+ in one year?

I'm not an expert on it, but it's going to be the same as any new technology: expensive when it's new. R&D isn't cheap. Retooling a foundry and lithography process isn't cheap. Even when it finally releases, how many years is it going to take before the prices come down to mainstream levels?

Actually it's the other way around. The linear velocity is faster on the edges of the platter, therefore they're brought faster to the read heads. Also as the platter gets filled up, the heads have to spend more time shifting in and out to read.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
it all comes from more cut scene videos. MKX for example has a base install of 8gb, and another 22GB in video files.

Textures dont eat up a ton of space like everyone thinks. Its 90% Video and Audio

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Who the heck is the editor on this site? I've almost totally written Tom's Hardware off because of the piss poor writing "skills" of the contributors. You're supposed to be journalists, so why do you write, and structure sentences like a 4th grader?

With corrections. Missing a hyphen and failing to mark a comma appositive.

If you're going to complain about someone else's writing, it helps to have your own correct.

Journalism and news websites of any kind (aside from some clickbait stuff) aren't profitable in the current climate. I'm assuming they can't afford an editor, and the writing staff consists of whoever is willing to do it for free or for a tiny amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.