[SOLVED] Batteries

stefs1

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
When you buy batteries, do is important to be original?
I always looking for original because i am afraid of fire.
On a lot of models they have battery with more capacity than original, is this secure to use?
Thanks

Solution
Generally, original batteries are higher grade then aftermarket ones, depending on the brand. While aftermarket ones are unlikely to catch on fire (Some really sketchy ones may be an outlier), aftermarket batteries may offer less runtime than original ones.

I have a Toshiba L55 that I installed an aftermarket battery in 3-4 years ago. The original charger died around that time as well and was replaced with an aftermarket charger.
The battery still works and offers a few hours of runtime just sitting on a desktop or basic usage. The charger still works fine. It hasn't been used much lately tho.
Generally, original batteries are higher grade then aftermarket ones, depending on the brand. While aftermarket ones are unlikely to catch on fire (Some really sketchy ones may be an outlier), aftermarket batteries may offer less runtime than original ones.

I have a Toshiba L55 that I installed an aftermarket battery in 3-4 years ago. The original charger died around that time as well and was replaced with an aftermarket charger.
The battery still works and offers a few hours of runtime just sitting on a desktop or basic usage. The charger still works fine. It hasn't been used much lately tho.

Solution
A battery that has more capacity is fine, as long as you keep an eye on how much space you have for the battery. If you have a 3000mAh battery, and you want to put a 10,000 mAh in it, then you may have an issue, but if you want to put a 4,000mAh battery in it, and its roughly the same size, GO FOR IT.

Original batteries or aftermarket really doesn't matter much. What DOES matter is the manufacture. Some are crap, some are gold. Don't cheap out on power, whether batteries or power supplies.