Battery bank power/cables question

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
A recent power outage caused us to want a better option in a battery bank than what we currently have.

We have two Quickcharge 3 phones. So ideally I'd like a battery bank with 2 USB ports that can each handle QC3 because we often like charging both phones at once while out at a friends' place for dinner, etc. But obviously it's not a deal breaker to only have 1 QC3 port.

What I'm seeing that's throwing me off is banks with 1 QC3 port, ok... But then one or two ports with some kind of "intelligent power" branding. I need to understand specs.

Here are the output specs on the 4 port battery bank I want...
Port 1 - USB-C PD2.0 (5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A, 15V/1A) 18W(Max)
Port 2 - QC3.0 (5V/3A,9V2.0A,12V/1.5A)
Port 3 - 5V/3A
Port 4 - 5V/3A
(3 and 4 are this 'intelligent' iM power)

So many questions...
1. How do the different usb cables affect this? Our phones have USB-C ports. Does that mean that when using a cable that goes Usb-C to the phone but USB 3.0 A to the charger we're not getting the best speed possible?

2. Does USB PD 2.0 speed go out the window when you use a USB-C to USB-A cable?

The bank I'm looking at is this. And we have the LG G6.
Thanks for any help!

What I'm seeing that's throwing me off is banks with 1 QC3 port, ok... But then one or two ports with some kind of "intelligent power" branding. I need to understand specs.

Here are the output specs on the 4 port battery bank I want...
Port 1 - USB-C PD2.0 (5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A, 15V/1A) 18W(Max)
Port 2 - QC3.0 (5V/3A,9V2.0A,12V/1.5A)
Port 3 - 5V/3A
Port 4 - 5V/3A
(3 and 4 are this 'intelligent' iM power)
According to manufacturer
Port 1 & 2 could deliver up to 18W
Port 3 & 4 could deliver up to 15W (combined)

So many questions...
1. How do the different usb cables affect this? Our phones have USB-C ports. Does that mean that when using a cable that goes Usb-C to the phone but USB 3.0 A to the charger we're not getting the best speed possible?
Ports 1 & 2 on the Imuto power bank could deliver 18W to the LG 6. That will depend on the quality of the cables used.
I suggest using the USB to USB-C Cable.

2. Does USB PD 2.0 speed go out the window when you use a USB-C to USB-A cable?
No necessarily.
I have a phone that charges at 30W and I am using a a USB-C to USB-A cable. It will depend on both charger and cable.
Some cables are cheap or were not build to handle that power delivery.

Reactions: tinpanalley
Thank you so much for the thorough reply.
How does one determine whether two ports share a certain number of watts or if they output separately?
Read the manual, specs or literature from manufacturer.
They might use words like total power when referring to several ports (e.g. 3 USB ports 30W total output).
Some other clearly state combined output (e.g. 3 USB ports 30W combined output).
You could see something like "36W charging adapter on a 4 port adapter". In this case each port could deliver 9W when used simultaneously.