[SOLVED] Battery: should I be worried ?

Oct 28, 2021
Hey, guys. First of all, I hope you can forgive my bad english. It isn't my first language.

So, I've bought this laptop some months ago, and today I opened it for the first time to add 8GB of ram. But it seems to me that there's something... well, unusual, on my battery, and I want to know if it's a puncture, a dent — if I should worry. I'm about to contact Acer, but maybe I'm being paranoid ?

I'm not computer-savvy enough to identify a damage like that by my own.

View: https://imgur.com/SFetESw

View: https://imgur.com/0ijFuES

Solution
On the 2nd pic, i see total of 3 dents in the battery casing, where the rightmost one is quite severe dent.

However, none of the dents are at the battery cell area, but instead at the outer casing. There's 1-2cm of space from the edge of the battery to the cell of the battery and the most severe dent seems to be in that "open" space. I, personally, wouldn't be worried about it.

I'm more interested in how that happened, since clearly, at some point (perhaps even during your opening up the laptop), that portion of the battery got pressurized by something. It could've been the outer plastic shell of the laptop.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
On the 2nd pic, i see total of 3 dents in the battery casing, where the rightmost one is quite severe dent.

However, none of the dents are at the battery cell area, but instead at the outer casing. There's 1-2cm of space from the edge of the battery to the cell of the battery and the most severe dent seems to be in that "open" space. I, personally, wouldn't be worried about it.

I'm more interested in how that happened, since clearly, at some point (perhaps even during your opening up the laptop), that portion of the battery got pressurized by something. It could've been the outer plastic shell of the laptop.

Reactions: ericknust
Solution
Oct 28, 2021

Thanks for your help, Aeacus. I'm using the laptop to work, and I never had a machine this good, so maybe I'm getting a little overcautious. On the battery getting pressurized by something: I wonder if I did this, when I opened up the case, but I dunno; I'm OCD, so I was kinda taking extra steps to not cause damages.

"However, none of the dents are at the battery cell area, but instead at the outer casing." I took some better photos, and looking at them, I'm under that impression as well.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Reactions: Aeacus