Battlefield 3 crashes my computer but Prime95 does not?

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I apologize if this is the wrong forum to ask this in, but I didn't know where else to ask it. Ok so here's the problem, I am, at this very moment, running Prime95 and my computer is handling it with no problem (my temps are stable at under 32C and also I'm not even experiencing lag) and I've been running it for a good hour or so now; no crash has occurred. Recently before I decided to do this Prime95 test however, I played a few rounds of Battlefield which seemed to be really fun until out of nowhere... BLACK AND WHITE LINES IN MY SCREEN FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU and then I was like WTF JUST HAPPENED??? This has happened before, many times before, but ONLY when I play Battlefield 3! I mean WTF DICE?? Is this a problem among others or can I perhaps do something to fix this??

Specs:
FX-8350 with an H100 cooler
AsRock Pro 970
HD 7870
8GB PNY RAM
600W Corsair PSU
500GB HDD

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Oh great, there are trolls on these forums too? You know, I came here for some serious help with my computer crashing and you tell me it's a graphics problem... I listed my specs, I have an HD 7870 which is a VERY decent GPU which, even if it there WAS a graphics problem would not cause my ENTIRE COMPUTER to crash. Some people... Can somebody seriously help me?

Well just because its a decent gpu doesnt mean it doesnt have an issue, im pretty sure u see the $500-1000 gpus like a 7970,680 or 7990/690 have a fault and crash, just because its expensive doesnt mean they always %100 manufactured perfectly. Possibly a driver issue? i mean prime 95 doesnt stress the gpu, try a gpu benchmark that will put stress on ur 7870

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Alright I suppose I can try this, and Steam has a 3D Mark demo right now, so I guess I can use that. Is that a reliable GPU Stress tester?

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Ok so after downloading 3D mark demo and running all three of the tests (the last being very laggy averaging like 15fps because dear god that benchmark is insane) my computer has not crashed and I was completely understanding of the results for the first 2 tests I averaged insane amounts of fps and then the last one (which was basically INSANELY overboard graphical detail) was choppy but not to the point where it seems like there is a GPU problem, it is only a 7870... Anyways, WTF?

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Yes it would. What everyone has said is correct. Prime95 stresses mainly your CPU and memory depending on which test you ran, not your video card. Make sure the power cable (if applicable) is properly inserted, make sure the card is correctly installed in your PCIe slot, and check to make sure there is no dust build-up. Make sure your drivers are up to date, and that it registers properly in control panel, CPU-Z etc... Also make sure the heat-sink isn't loose and that the fans are working. Finally, make sure your VGA/HDMI/DVI cable is in right, and screwed in.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
what clock speeds are you running?

Download sisoft sandra and run their benchmarks, compare the numbers and make sure they aren't off, memory, fpu, alu, ect.

Is this only a problem limited to BF3 and no other game, or just online gaming?

Also, have you updated the bios for your motherboard? there are instability issues with some early bios revisions, especially when running "unsupported" memory.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Memory&Model=970 Extreme4

no pny listed, so the timings may be off, could require some manual adjustments to the settings.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

if we wanted to be trolls we would pick on your cpu! as everyone said prime wont touch your gpu also outside of software issues psu's are also typical hardware causes for your issue

Try to have some compassion. These guys having these problems are pulling their hair out after working on the problem for hours/days.

you want to stress test the gpu not run a stability benchmark that only uses 100% for short periods.
use furmark it will max out the gpu for as long as you want to run it and allow you to get a good temp reading...
use gpu-z with logging. keep an ey on the core temp, core volts abd the vddc temp and volts.
chances are that the vddc is the weak point. my 5870 hits 90'c on the vddc while the gpu doesnt go past 45'c with my arcticool 5870 xtreme cooler.
so please don t go calling me a fan boi, i have more than enough experiance with amd cards...
also was the white lines thin or thick. if they were thin (1/4inch repeating) its likely the driver has shut down either through bad drivers (my 5870 was unstable for about 5 driver releases and gave me gray screens and stripped screens for months till i got stable drivers).
update to the latest beta 12.3.5 or if you already have try downgrading to the last whql 1s.

if there thick white lines (about 1 inch) then its likely a gpu bios error

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Oh yeah I should add that I actually tried playing again earlier today and when it crashed again (this is also after updating my mobo BIOS and assuring that this is now a GPU problem) the lines were like really close together about 1/4 inch or less like that one guy said so I suppose I should try some older drivers considering these new ones are only in Beta testing.

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Alright so I've now played many games and the games that seem to make my computer crash are... BF3, and once Counter Strike did too. I also play DayZ, Arma 2, Planetside 2, Minecraft, Mirror's Edge, and a LOT of World of Tanks (which has surprisingly great graphics for a free-to-play) and ONLY Battlefield 3 and also like I said Counter Strike Source have caused it to crash on me so far as I can remember. Maybe I should try a re-install? That might do something.... Worth a shot at least!