Battlefield V Creators: We Toned Down Ray Tracing for Performance, Realism

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2018

I have been keeping a keen eye on the tariff situation with all the electronics I purchase for my business and myself. Its a roller coaster ride for sure.

TSMC is a Taiwanese so they might not be affected by the Tariffs.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
"We cannot wait to see gaming realism stepped up significantly by the application of real-time ray tracing."

The quest for visual realism in games above all else is becoming an obsession devoid of rational direction. I have a simple question about the glorious-looking water you saw in the demo: is it wet? If the stuff doesn't and act behave like water, doing what water should do, then it isn't water. This applies to all aspects of games worlds: devs are obsessed with how they look, losing sight of the notion of object/substance functionality, and it's the latter which can make games feel far more immersive.

Many years ago while playing an old PS2 game, "Draken: The Ancients' Gate", there's a section where one walks through a snow laden landscape. The way the character leaves footprints in the snow, and the accompanying changed walking sounds, really added to the atmosphere.

It's not difficult to make realistic looking water, often some simple cheats & tricks can be surprisingly effective, like the basic environment mapping used in Baldur's Gate. Quite another matter altogether though to present water in a game that is believably water, rather than just a visual effect. Can it splash, flow, freeze, melt, evaporate, etc.? Can one scoop it up and use it to put out a fire? The same applies to mud, flames, smoke, lava, snow, ice, wind, ash, etc. If such phenomena could be modelled with better functionality, the possibilities for enhanced gameplay in games like Tomb Raider would be enormous, or pretty much any game for that matter. Atm though devs are just focused on how games look. Trouble is, the better the visual tricks employed, the more jarring and 4th-wall-breaking it is when one does something in a game world which reveals that an object or substance is indeed just a visual effect.

Running low on water? Try and drink from that puddle, or fill a bottle with it. No? Then it isn't water, whether one's running the game on 20280 Ti SLI or not.

Ian.

sdmf74

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Sweet so Ill just downgrade back to my 24" 1080p monitor & run it @ 60hz instead of 144 so I can play BF5 with RTX and decent framerates, what a freaking joke! smh

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

I'm coming to the party late but NVLink is your Daddy's SLI. It is infact exactly the same. RTX cards do not use the real NVLink, they just use the connector but SLI remains.
There is no memory sharing or any other advantages of NVLink.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-nvlink-review-taking-sli-to-the-next-level

this seems to disagree with you:

On the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, NVLink allows for up to 100GB/s bidirectional bandwidth between the cards (the GeForce RTX 2080 offers 50GB/s). When fully utilized, NVLink will minimize inter-GPU traffic over the PCI Express interface and also allows the memory on each card to behave more as a single, shared resource. Traditional SLI was effectively a display interface, where the output from two GPUs was linked together and sent out to the display. To maintain compatibility, NVLink does the same thing, but it is also a high-bandwidth, low-latency memory interface, which opens up the possibility for new multi-GPU modes, not only for gaming but for scientific analysis and big data workloads as well.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

It's not disagreeing with me. I don't own RTX and I don't test hardware. It's disagreeing with every youtube reviewer I've seen talk about the issue.
Here is the moment Gamers Nexus talks about it. I'm not going to link all the videos as I don't have that kind of time but I think GN is probably the most trustworthy and reputable of all the tech sites around so here you go.

https://youtu.be/84OkcOYmXOk?t=925

It is not the same thing though. SLI maxed out at 2GB/s. This pushes 50GB/s on 2080 and 100GB/s on the 2080Ti. SLI does work on it though however since its still using the SLI protocol then it wont see any advantage as they will still run at the limit SLI imposes, much like using a Thunderbolt port and cable but running USB 3.0 on it. Sure Thunderbolt is capable of 20GB/s bidirectional but the USB 3.0 protocol will limit it to its max bandwidth.

Again stating it is just SLI in a new package is incorrect. Games will have to be made to take advantage of the bandwidth it has before any noticeable gains can be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.