Question battling microstutter

Jul 5, 2021
Long story short, I used to have another gpu(EVGA 3070) before having the Rx 6800, and was having microstutter issues and I really thought it was the card but then I aquired an Rx 6800 reference model, and pluged that bad boy in my rig and continued having microstutters and was unable to play games and by watching the graphs I was able to see dips on clock speed and also on the fps, I have to say I have tried everything under the sun to be able to have a butter smooth gameplay I really enjoy playing my story mode games, I had no issues with esports like league or valorant or overwatch.

Full specs
Ryzen 7 3700x
AsRock Velocita B550 Phantom Gaming
G skill Trident Neo 16 gbs 2x8 @ 3600Mhz
Nvme Sk Hynix 500gb
HDD 2Tb Seagate Barracuda
Lian Li Gallahad 240
Evga Supernova 750W Platinum

Troubleshooting:
*Installed windows
*No daisy chain cables to GPU( 2Separate cables)
*Tried different drivers
*Tried undervolting
*Changed my Psu cougar bxm 850 bronze to the Supernova
*Updated Chipset drivers
*Updated Mobo Bios
*Set games high performance on windows/graphics tab
you name it.

But recently I tried setting this settings on the tuning tab on radeon settings for certain games
Max clocks 2550mhz
Min clocks 24450mhz
Vram 2112mhz
power +15
and I have tried several games and Im feeling a little bit more stable I need to continue testing but I´m kinda at the edge If I feel microstutters Im gonna be sad I have battled with this feeling since april this year and I have invested a lot on this computer. I used to play on a 55 inch tv 60hz and bought a 32 inch Msi monitor 1440p freesync. Again this is something I was experiencing with the 3070 as well, is there something broken? Now I was playing yesterday some SplitGate and had to set it to 2550 because with the automatic overclock or if I set it to 2300max and 2200min i had microstuttering now and then, Right now im like screw it, I know the max limit is 2600 but im leaving it at 2550 for most games and feeling some kind of stability to be honest and I dont want to drop more money on this computer.

Long story short, I used to have another gpu(EVGA 3070) before having the Rx 6800, and was having microstutter issues and I really thought it was the card but then I aquired an Rx 6800 reference model, and pluged that bad boy in my rig and continued having microstutters and was unable to play games and by watching the graphs I was able to see dips on clock speed and also on the fps, I have to say I have tried everything under the sun to be able to have a butter smooth gameplay I really enjoy playing my story mode games, I had no issues with esports like league or valorant or overwatch.

Full specs
Ryzen 7 3700x
Nvme Sk Hynix 500gb
Lian Li Gallahad 240

Troubleshooting:
*Installed windows
*Tried different drivers
*Tried undervolting
*Updated Chipset drivers
*Updated Mobo Bios
you name it.

But recently I tried setting this settings on the tuning tab on radeon settings for certain games
Max clocks 2550mhz
Min clocks 24450mhz
Vram 2112mhz
power +15
and I have tried several games and Im feeling a little bit more stable I need to continue testing but I´m kinda at the edge If I feel microstutters Im gonna be sad I have battled with this feeling since april this year and I have invested a lot on this computer. I used to play on a 55 inch tv 60hz and bought a 32 inch Msi monitor 1440p freesync. Again this is something I was experiencing with the 3070 as well, is there something broken? Now I was playing yesterday some SplitGate and had to set it to 2550 because with the automatic overclock or if I set it to 2300max and 2200min i had microstuttering now and then, Right now im like screw it, I know the max limit is 2600 but im leaving it at 2550 for most games and feeling some kind of stability to be honest and I dont want to drop more money on this computer.

You are focused on the wrong piece of hardware; microstutter is almost always caused by your CPU, not your GPU.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021
You are focused on the wrong piece of hardware; microstructure is almost always caused by your CPU, not your GPU.
Are you certain? Isnt this a good cpu? I mean cpu usage is not that high while playing, and I used to see my clock speeds drop while gaming, now my question is if its safe to run my gpu with max 2550mhz and min 2450 mhz on certain games, This has definetly improved gameplay.

Stuttering, is often caused by a lack of cpu resource.
That is primarily the single thread capability of your processor.
Your r7 3700x has 16 threads an a total passmark rating of 22784.
That is when all 16 threads are fully utilized. An uncommon occurrence for games.
Your low utilization is evidence of this.
It is the single thread performance that usually matters most and that rating is a decent 2687.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+3700X&id=3485

Since you seem to have the budget, consider upgrading to a 5600X
12 threads and a rating of 22162/3380 I doubt you use all your 16 threads.
5800x is 16 threads 28496/3494.

If your game's master threads runs at 100%. there is no reserve to handle occasional increases in demand.

If you want to try an experiment to see how important cpu speed is, try this back backhanded experiment:
Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/

This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.

Edited to correct original source cpu.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReverseLolo
You had microstutter with both your 3070 and now your 6800, two completely different GPUs from two completely different companies, running completely different drivers. Wouldn't it make more sense that something else in your build other than your GPU is causing this?

Overall CPU utilization doesn't tell the whole story. It only takes one maxed out thread for your CPU to slow down your rendering pipeline. The 3700x is a great productivity CPU and a decent gaming CPU, but it has its limitations.

Full specs
Ryzen 7 3700x
Nvme Sk Hynix 500gb
Lian Li Gallahad 240

Troubleshooting:
*Installed windows
*Tried different drivers
*Tried undervolting
*Updated Chipset drivers
*Updated Mobo Bios
you name it.

Max clocks 2550mhz
Min clocks 24450mhz
Vram 2112mhz
power +15
If you want smooth gameplay set an fps limit to just below whatever minimum fps you get in a particular game

Jul 5, 2021
Stuttering, is often caused by a lack of cpu resource.
That is primarily the single thread capability of your processor.
Your r7 3700x has 16 threads an a total passmark rating of 22784.
That is when all 16 threads are fully utilized. An uncommon occurrence for games.
Your low utilization is evidence of this.
It is the single thread performance that usually matters most and that rating is a decent 2687.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+3700X&id=3485

Since you seem to have the budget, consider upgrading to a 5600X
12 threads and a rating of 22162/3380 I doubt you use all your 16 threads.
5800x is 16 threads 28496/3494.

If your game's master threads runs at 100%. there is no reserve to handle occasional increases in demand.

If you want to try an experiment to see how important cpu speed is, try this back backhanded experiment:
Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 80%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/

This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 20% improvement in core speed might do.

Edited to correct original source cpu.
I understand. Do you think that I should take the Ryzen 5 5600x or a Ryzen 7 5800x I can see the Ryzen 7 is around 300 at amazons

Jul 5, 2021
You had microstutter with both your 3070 and now your 6800, two completely different GPUs from two completely different companies, running completely different drivers. Wouldn't it make more sense that something else in your build other than your GPU is causing this?

Overall CPU utilization doesn't tell the whole story. It only takes one maxed out thread for your CPU to slow down your rendering pipeline. The 3700x is a great productivity CPU and a decent gaming CPU, but it has its limitations.
I thought I had 2 bad gpus to be honest :(

I have read that cpu usage while gaming shouldn't be at 100% mine is usually around 25 to 30%
Where did you read that?
Do you trust the source as competent?
The answer is it depends,

No doubt cpu usage can depend on the type of game.
A multiplayer game with many participants will respond to many threads.
OTOH, many sims, strategy and mmo games, particularly older ones are largely single threaded.
A single threaded game on a 16 thread processor would only show 7% utilization.
Windows spreads out cpu usage in various ways and differing reasons.
Perhaps to even out heat generation on the cpu die, for instance.
Just guessing, while a game can have many threads, I suspect about 4-6 is about as many as a game can effectively use.
Here is an older study. Food for thought.

Jul 5, 2021
Where did you read that?
Do you trust the source as competent?
The answer is it depends,

No doubt cpu usage can depend on the type of game.
A multiplayer game with many participants will respond to many threads.
OTOH, many sims, strategy and mmo games, particularly older ones are largely single threaded.
A single threaded game on a 16 thread processor would only show 7% utilization.
Windows spreads out cpu usage in various ways and differing reasons.
Perhaps to even out heat generation on the cpu die, for instance.
Just guessing, while a game can have many threads, I suspect about 4-6 is about as many as a game can effectively use.
Here is an older study. Food for thought.
I'm trying to understand when you say single thread game will show x amount. So basically my 3700x at 1440p paired with Rx 6800 is not performing as it should?

Jul 5, 2021
For starters, what game are you playing?
Did I miss that?
Hello sorry for late response, Im gonna list you the games in which I have had problems with,

The sims 4 at whatever resolution is garbage and wont run on my pc.
I was playing GTA 5 and this used to happen video for reference. (
View: https://vimeo.com/571341114
) took this clip myself, this was all in stock but upon creating the custom profile for GTAV and setting max clock speed at 2450 and min clock at 2350 the stutter that you can clearly see in the video dissapeared but with other games this custom profiles doesnt work, I just downloaded Psychonauts 2 this appears to be a game that should run no problem and I constantly get stutters while playing no matter if I go 1080 high or low graphics or 1440p (my monitors default resolution) 1440p on low or high doesnt matter it still find to microstutter every now and then, I set a custom profile with high MHZ and unfortunately this didnt work, I was playing splitgate with default settings and needed to change to custom profile for it to stop microstuttering, I have my hands tied I dont know what else to do, And I have had this issue for about 7 months now. I also tried running the latest namco bandai game i forgot the name (scarlet nexus) at 1440p unplayable but when sset on 1080 it was playable.. and so on . Esport games runs ok aroung 200 to 195 fps. (valorant , lol, overwatch)

Aug 20, 2021
Hello sorry for late response, Im gonna list you the games in which I have had problems with,

The sims 4 at whatever resolution is garbage and wont run on my pc.
I was playing GTA 5 and this used to happen video for reference. (
View: https://vimeo.com/571341114
) took this clip myself, this was all in stock but upon creating the custom profile for GTAV and setting max clock speed at 2450 and min clock at 2350 the stutter that you can clearly see in the video dissapeared but with other games this custom profiles doesnt work, I just downloaded Psychonauts 2 this appears to be a game that should run no problem and I constantly get stutters while playing no matter if I go 1080 high or low graphics or 1440p (my monitors default resolution) 1440p on low or high doesnt matter it still find to microstutter every now and then, I set a custom profile with high MHZ and unfortunately this didnt work, I was playing splitgate with default settings and needed to change to custom profile for it to stop microstuttering, I have my hands tied I dont know what else to do, And I have had this issue for about 7 months now. I also tried running the latest namco bandai game i forgot the name (scarlet nexus) at 1440p unplayable but when sset on 1080 it was playable.. and so on . Esport games runs ok aroung 200 to 195 fps. (valorant , lol, overwatch)
i have a i5 3570 and rx 550 and i have no stutters in gta5 maybe try reinstalling windows?

Jul 5, 2021
i have a i5 3570 and rx 550 and i have no stutters in gta5 maybe try reinstalling windows?
As stated before I have already installed windows 10 like 3 times and safe mode DDU uninstall drivers several times as well. I recently changed my cougar Bronze psu to an Evga platinum 750 psu. I have tried everything and I can't seem to shake the damn microstutter. Did you see the video? This is what happens in most games. And I'm about (like literally about) to buy an Ryzen 9 5900x in my country for 650 and I'm gonna be pissed if this doesn't solve my situation.

Jul 5, 2021
Yesterday I was trying psychonauts 2 a game that should be easy to run. Actually I saw a guy run the game at 1440p with a Ryzen 7 3700x and 1070ti no stutters and when I ran the game every now and then it has this little stutter and sweet baby Jesus I'll be dammed :v I just want to play. I also downloaded alien fireteam and it used to have stutter but then I customized a profile on Radeon settings and it kinda dissapeared the stuttering I have done this for others games as well but with psychonauts 2 not working and with sims 4 as well no matter what I try to change is not working

Aug 20, 2021
As stated before I have already installed windows 10 like 3 times and safe mode DDU uninstall drivers several times as well. I recently changed my cougar Bronze psu to an Evga platinum 750 psu. I have tried everything and I can't seem to shake the damn microstutter. Did you see the video? This is what happens in most games. And I'm about (like literally about) to buy an Ryzen 9 5900x in my country for 650 and I'm gonna be pissed if this doesn't solve my situation.
as i told i dont think its your cpu or the gpu. so as reinstalling windows dosent work, reinstalling drivers dosent work, changing psu dosent work, so maybe its your ssd ?
to be sure run a user benchmark and post a link to the results here.

Jul 5, 2021
as i told i dont think its your cpu or the gpu. so as reinstalling windows dosent work, reinstalling drivers dosent work, changing psu dosent work, so maybe its your ssd ?
to be sure run a user benchmark and post a link to the results here.
I need all the help possible because I'm also kinda noob to this PC stuff. All I know is I have P.2 bios and pbo enabled and Xmp at 3600mhz enabled according to windows my ram is running at that value. I mainly play my games at my hdd which is a 2tb Seagate barracuda. And my esport games are on my SSD Nvme. I have already tried copy pasting games from hdd to ssd but same microstuttering. I have already memtested for 3 hours and passed everything so it's safe to say it's not the ram I guess? No daisy chained gpu 2 separate cables are powering my GPU. Power plan AMD Ryzen balanced. Startup apps only the ones I really use. I only game and I don't download or install or leave open website windows open at the same time. I just game and discord that's it.

Aug 20, 2021
I need all the help possible because I'm also kinda noob to this PC stuff. All I know is I have P.2 bios and pbo enabled and Xmp at 3600mhz enabled according to windows my ram is running at that value. I mainly play my games at my hdd which is a 2tb Seagate barracuda. And my esport games are on my SSD Nvme. I have already tried copy pasting games from hdd to ssd but same microstuttering. I have already memtested for 3 hours and passed everything so it's safe to say it's not the ram I guess? No daisy chained gpu 2 separate cables are powering my GPU. Power plan AMD Ryzen balanced. Startup apps only the ones I really use. I only game and I don't download or install or leave open website windows open at the same time. I just game and discord that's it.
Hey! what are your temps btw?

Jul 5, 2021
Is the RAM definitely running at 3600mhz and in dual channel?

I may not tell us anything new but can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.
I will most definitely do it please give me some time I'm at work and unable to provide the benchmark but is in my best interest to see if I'm able to solve this situation because unfortunately I haven't been able to enjoy this gaming PC. At the very beginning I remember I never felt this mixrostutters and I had the EVGA RTx 3070 Xcr ultra. And I thought it was my GPU the culprit and then I traded my 3070 for a brand new Rx 6800 heck and the problem continued . Changed PSU it was less but still continued

Jul 5, 2021
Hey! what are your temps btw?
I live in Panama (Latin America) it's a tropical paradise (as Florida) and the weather is pretty hot but when I play i have my a/c on so temps recorded with speccy are around 60 to 63 Celsius and gpu temp depend on the game and with the custom profile with aggressive fan curve is around 60 Celsius as well top 70°

TRENDING THREADS