News Bazzite is a SteamOS Clone That Supports Gaming PCs and the Steam Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2023
Thanks for covering bazzite! I'm on the universal blue team and can help answer any questions you have.

I'll start with the AMD support one. AMDs drivers are already included in the linux kernel so you should be good to go. I've got hundreds of hours on my 7900XTX and things are running pretty smoothly. Bazzite also makes for a great living room HTPC as well, I use mine like a big steam deck with xbox controllers --- since most games have cloud sync it makes for a nice seamless experience between all your devices.

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
I'll start with the AMD support one. AMDs drivers are already included in the linux kernel so you should be good to go. I've got hundreds of hours on my 7900XTX and things are running pretty smoothly.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I was perplexed by that part of the article, but no surprised, since the media keeps showing such ignorance about Linux and worse, AMD.

Given that the SteamDeck is an all AMD system and AMD works very closely with Valve and the Linux community, their hardware simply works out of the box, unlike the media favorite company, which is actually hostile towards open source.

I am currently using ChimeraOS and except for one small issue related to a Gigabyte bug, the experience is flawless.

Have you tried ChimeraOS and if yes, how would you compare it to Bazzite?

Sorry for the dumb question, but to be honest, this is the first time that I have heard of Bazzite.

Reactions: artk2219

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
That's a game-by-game kind of thing. Some will be faster, some slower. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well nearly everything runs.
Read similar things and its interesting how it can balance itself out.

Examples I have observed:

Windows 11 many processes will create stutters or latency , which Linux doesnt. But then you have the performance hit (its there, even though it can be very minimal in cases) due to the proton translation layer.

Overall, in my case, ChimeraOS has proven to be very fast, stable and responsive, compared when i had Win11 in the same system (5600x and 7900XTX).

Reactions: artk2219
Status
Not open for further replies.