BBC iPlayer - Call to arms for UK Linux (&Mac) users

Here in the UK our beloved BBC is currently looking to introduce a system for playing back recent shows via the web. Some of you might have read about the iPlayer from various news sources. Unfortunately in its infinate wisdom the board had decided to use a closed and propitiatory Micorsoft DRM system. The kicker is that only a Windows client will be made available and there are no assurances that a Mac or Linux client will be made available any time soon if at all. So not only do we have to pay a state licence fee to operate a TV in this country we also have to pay a Windows Tax to view shows online.

I first read about this on Slashdot a couple of weeks back and immediately logged an official complaint with the BBC. Having given them time to respond I received a rather 'Meh' reply from their information office noting my complaint, it would seem quite a few others followed me in voicing their concerns. You can see the slashdot thereads here:

http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=iplayer

As auntie is not listening a petition has been set up on the 10 Downing St site allowing UK & Ex Pat folk to log their request to have iPlayer banned in its current format and to demand a more cross platform solution to be made available. Its only been up a couple of days and there are now 11,000 or so signed up names. If you are eligable and want to add your voice then you can find the petition here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/iplayer/

If you want your shows on a Mac or Linux box any time soon we need to make our point..

Thanks,

AV.

riser

Illustrious
They're taking on a lot to do this in the first place. Microsoft does have a canned system in place.. even as you mention it was hacked but that will be fixed.

Ever see the websites stats that show the OSs and browser software used to view the webpage?

If you can show me that the Linux and Mac market has a significant amount of users hitting the site.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say its probably close to 85-90% Windows/IE hitting the webpage.

If that does well, then you can probably expect the rest to follow.. Its all about the ROI - return on investment.

The issue is Riser that as a publicly funded body that I have to pay a license fee to they need to use and support open standards. It also raises issues of accessibility on mobile devises (linux or otherwise).

Its like saying public building should not have access ramps as only 5% of visitors have a disability.