[SOLVED] Bbs boot priority issue

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi All,

I have 2 SSD installed in my system
  1. Samsung ssd (windows is installed)
  2. Wd SSD(Normal personal files)

In my MSI z390 ace Mobo. i have 2 options to select boot order. One is through boot priority on main dashboard of MSI bios

second, there is HARD DISK BBS PRIORITY OPTION. In that it is showing followed
  1. Boot option 1# Samsung SSD
  2. Boot option 2# WD SSD

now if i disable the BOOT OPTION 2# under BBS PRIORITIES which is WD SSD.
  2. Boot option 2# DIsabled

My windows stop booting. As this SSD is not containing windows boot manager. Once i will enable the BOOT OPTION 2# WD SSD. Windows again start booting.

so why my windows is not booting once i will disable as mentioned above. As that particular SSD is not window SSD.

and in my normal boot order which shown on Bios dashboard as well 1st option is always my SAMSUNG SSD as below.

1. Samsung SSD
  2. Uefi hard disk
  3. Uefi usb hard disk
  4. Uefi cd/dvd

please help me to understand the same.

Solution
When you installed windows to the ssd, was the hard drive attached?
If it was, windows put a small hidden recovery prtition on the hdd.
To boot you will always need the hdd attached.
If possible, reinstall on the ssd without any drives attached and all the necessary parts to boot will be on the ssd.
You can reattach the hdd later and have access to your files.
You can delete any old windows components from it.
When you installed windows to the ssd, was the hard drive attached?
To boot you will always need the hdd attached.
If possible, reinstall on the ssd without any drives attached and all the necessary parts to boot will be on the ssd.
You can reattach the hdd later and have access to your files.
You can delete any old windows components from it.

Solution

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
No There is no HDD attached. Both are SSD as i mentioned in my original post. Even i don't have any HDD BTW,

And i have already tried to reinstall the fresh windows in Samsung SSD by formatting it completely but still having same problem.

My question is

Once i disable the BOOT OPTION 2# under BBS PRIORITIES which is WD SSD.
  2. Boot option 2# DIsabled
My windows stop booting. As this SSD is not containing windows boot manager. Once i will enable the BOOT OPTION 2# WD SSD. Windows again start booting.

so why my windows is not booting once i will disable as mentioned above. As that particular SSD is not window SSD.

When you install windows, there should be NO other drive attached(neither hdd nor ssd)
Boot from the fresh install by itself to verify that all is ok.
Only then should you attach the second drive.
Insure that the proper ssd is first in the boot order and that the second drive is not in the boot order list at all.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
When you install windows, there should be NO other drive attached(neither hdd nor ssd)
Boot from the fresh install by itself to verify that all is ok.
Only then should you attach the second drive.
You Mean while installing the Fresh windows. Only 1 SSD need to be attached where i want to install windows. Correct?
Insure that the proper ssd is first in the boot order and that the second drive is not in the boot order list at all.
And i have 2 boot order. one is normal boot order and second one is Hard disk BBS priority Boot order.

If i disable the Non window SSD in BBS priority list. Windows stop booting. and once it is disabled. In normal boot order there is no option to select that SSD.

Not sure what are you trying to tell

When you install windows, have NO other drive connected during the install.
If you do, you will have all sorts of problems like you described.
When you are finished, test boot with only the one drive you just installed on connected.

Only then, can you attach other drives.

There is no distnction between ssd drives and sata drives, They each look the same to windows.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
When you install windows, have NO other drive connected during the install.
If you do, you will have all sorts of problems like you described.
When you are finished, test boot with only the one drive you just installed on connected.

Only then, can you attach other drives.

There is no distnction between ssd drives and sata drives, They each look the same to windows.
Instead of removing the other drive before installing the fresh windows.

Is there any other option in BIOS i can disable from there the second SSD. As it is very hectic process to remove the SSD now from system. i have unscrew lot of bolts etc.

Or can i give boot priority to SSD where i want to install actually and save the BIOS and second drive will automatically come to Boot option 2?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Very simple.
Just disconnect the sata data cable or disconnect the sata power cable to the drive while you are doing the install.
Ok. Its a m.2 ssd not the Sata cable.

and one more question arises in my mind
As you said disconnect the other drive and while installing windows only 1 drive needs to be installed in system

Ok fine after installing windows. When i will connect another drive. It has already contained windows boot manager from previous window install and again it will create same problem

just now i have formatted the entire second non window SSD.

still i can boot windows from both SSD VIA BIOS.
How is that possible?

so what to do in that case?

Last edited:
Normally, if you are using a m.2 ssd, that is where you will be installing windows.
If you have a second m.2 device then you have to remove the second device while you are installing on the primary C drive.

FWIW, I think it is much easier to manage a single large C drive and not use any secondary drive at all.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Normally, if you are using a m.2 ssd, that is where you will be installing windows.
If you have a second m.2 device then you have to remove the second device while you are installing on the primary C drive.

FWIW, I think it is much easier to manage a single large C drive and not use any secondary drive at all.
Yes you are correct.
But second ssd i am using for normal storage.

Ok fine after installing windows. When i will connect another drive. It has already contained windows boot manager from previous window install.
How to delete the old boot manager from mu second SSD?

Yes you are correct.
But second ssd i am using for normal storage.

Ok fine after installing windows. When i will connect another drive. It has already contained windows boot manager from previous window install.
How to delete the old boot manager from mu second SSD?

After Windows is installed on the main SSD the next time you reboot you go in the BIOS and you make sure you boot from the main drive and not from the secondary SSD. When you're in Windows you can access the secondary SSD and delete whatever you want.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
After Windows is installed on the main SSD the next time you reboot you go in the BIOS and you make sure you boot from the main drive and not from the secondary SSD. When you're in Windows you can access the secondary SSD and delete whatever you want.
i guess this problem occured because while installing the windows first time. My Both SSD were connected and windows has just put hidden recovery boot manager in secondary SSD. Correct?

so i want to rectify the same without reinstalling the windows.

So instead of doing new fresh install. Can i directly remove the system files/window files from the secondary SSD.
As my c windows drive is in primary SSD.

because my problem is my computer can boot from both SSD. I just want to boot from Primary SSD.
I don't want secondary SSD use as a boot manager.

If you delete your files on the secondary SSD you won't be able to boot with your primary SSD OS because that's what people have been telling you. When you install Windows and you have other drives plugged in the OS can and will put system files on those. Any removal of those files will render the OS unbootable. It's needed.

You have to reinstall Windows if you want to be able to just have the primary SSD for your OS. The way you have it now if your secondary SSD dies your primary SSD OS can't boot. That's bad.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
If you delete your files on the secondary SSD you won't be able to boot with your primary SSD OS because that's what people have been telling you. When you install Windows and you have other drives plugged in the OS can and will put system files on those. Any removal of those files will render the OS unbootable. It's needed.

You have to reinstall Windows if you want to be able to just have the primary SSD for your OS. The way you have it now if your secondary SSD dies your primary SSD OS can't boot. That's bad.
Ok i got your point.

but this can arise new query for you.

Ok fine after installing windows whipe connecting only one SSD. Once i will connect my secondary SSD. It has already contained windows boot manager from previous window install.

How to delete the old boot manager from my secondary SSD?
Because i guess just formatting the secondary SSD can't delete system/windows files or old boot manager. So how to do delete the same.

Ok i got your point.

but this can arise new query for you.

Ok fine after installing windows whipe connecting only one SSD. Once i will connect my secondary SSD. It has already contained windows boot manager from previous window install.

How to delete the old boot manager from my secondary SSD?
Because i guess just formatting the secondary SSD can't delete system/windows files or old boot manager. So how to do delete the same.

You use diskpart to clean the drive.
  • You run CMD as admin
  • Type diskpart
  • Type list disk
  • Type select disk # (# should be the drive number from the list disk)
  • Type clean
Please be sure that you clean the good drive because you will wipe all data and partitions from that drive.

You can then go to disk management and initialise the drive and create a new partition for the secondary SSD.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
You use diskpart to clean the drive.
  • You run CMD as admin
  • Type diskpart
  • Type list disk
  • Type select disk # (# should be the drive number from the list disk)
  • Type clean
Please be sure that you clean the good drive because you will wipe all data and partitions from that drive.

You can then go to disk management and initialise the drive and create a new partition for the secondary SSD.
Ok great

So clean option can delete system/windows files.?

and after that which option shall i select to initialise the disk. GPT OR MBR?

which is better?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi All

i have reinstalled the fresh windows 10 without removing the Secondary SSD.

And no windows partition written to it and now i am using that secondary SSD simply for normal storage.

and in BIOS i have disabled the Secondary SSD in hard disk bbs. And no issue reported.

Thanks to all for help.