Question BD PROCHOT throttle is always on even though temps are low ?

Mar 24, 2021
Hello

Built a new computer about a week ago. i7-10700K, RTX 3060 Ventus 2x, Z490 Tomahawk. Worked fine for about 2-3 days and then i noticed it got slow. I look at all my monitor programs that my CPU runs at 800MHz (100x8). Long story short i found that the motherboard (that is what i assume sends the signal) says the CPU is too hot and throttles down to 800MHz. "BD PROCHOT" is the error signal that i get in ThrottleStop. All cores are stable at 30-40 C while idle and 50-60 C while playing Minecraft or CS at max settings 1080p 144Hz monitor.

So im wondering if this is anything u guys ever experienced. From my research it seems that this is a common problem for laptops, i only ever found a few instances on desktops from googling around.

Unchecking BD PROCHOT in ThrottleStop fixes the issue and everything is normal, but that is a safety feature, no? What i have done is: update BIOS, re-apply thermal paste, check for proper airflow and CPU cooler mounting, and checking that i got every driver downloaded from proper sources. From my understanding it should still throttle when it reaches damaging temps (activating PROCHOT, not BD PROCHOT) but i am still uncomfortable with leaving it off even tho every single temperature in my PC is normal.

I use a Corsair 4000D Airflow with 3 intake fans (1 stock, 2 Noctua) and one exhaust (stock). CPU cooler from Noctua (NH-U12S). PSU 850W from Corsair
Motherboard sensor faulty? Or CPU? All CPU temps are fine.

BD PROCHOT throttling has been a very common problem on MSI desktop motherboards for many generations. Their motherboards used to use a Slow Mode switch which was intended for users that were overclocking with liquid nitrogen (LN2). This allowed one to boot up safely at 800 MHz and then you could flick a switch on the motherboard and go up to full speed for a record setting screenshot. Sounds wonderful until these cheap motherboard switches fail or get dirty and start shorting out. When that happens, the CPU will be forever stuck at 800 MHz.

I had a look in the manual for your motherboard and I cannot see any mention of the Slow Mode switch. If you are bored you can search the motherboard for a tiny toggle switch like this.

Using ThrottleStop to clear the BD PROCHOT box tells the CPU to ignore any external throttling signals. There are rarely any legit throttling signals that use this method to throttle the CPU. Without being one of the design engineers, no one can tell you for sure what signals are being sent using this method. It could be an external temperature switch that has failed but it does not have to be a temperature switch.

Whether BD PROHOT is checked or not in ThrottleStop, your CPU will still be able to thermal throttle and slow down if it ever gets too hot. Your choice is to forever use ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal path or complain to MSI and try to get a new board. Trying to find anyone at MSI that can understand or admit to this problem should be fun. When someone tells you to re-install Windows, it is not going to fix this problem.

Reactions: Krisshv
Mar 24, 2021
BD PROCHOT throttling has been a very common problem on MSI desktop motherboards for many generations. Their motherboards used to use a Slow Mode switch which was intended for users that were overclocking with liquid nitrogen (LN2). This allowed one to boot up safely at 800 MHz and then you could flick a switch on the motherboard and go up to full speed for a record setting screenshot. Sounds wonderful until these cheap motherboard switches fail or get dirty and start shorting out. When that happens, the CPU will be forever stuck at 800 MHz.

I had a look in the manual for your motherboard and I cannot see any mention of the Slow Mode switch. If you are bored you can search the motherboard for a tiny toggle switch like this.

Using ThrottleStop to clear the BD PROCHOT box tells the CPU to ignore any external throttling signals. There are rarely any legit throttling signals that use this method to throttle the CPU. Without being one of the design engineers, no one can tell you for sure what signals are being sent using this method. It could be an external temperature switch that has failed but it does not have to be a temperature switch.

Whether BD PROHOT is checked or not in ThrottleStop, your CPU will still be able to thermal throttle and slow down if it ever gets too hot. Your choice is to forever use ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal path or complain to MSI and try to get a new board. Trying to find anyone at MSI that can understand or admit to this problem should be fun. When someone tells you to re-install Windows, it is not going to fix this problem.

I have looked around on the card and didnt find a slow switch as that was one of my concerns. Also checked manual and found just as much as you did.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I have contacted the seller for a replacement and i am sending the board back. Good news is that i will def get a new one if they find the same issue at the repair shop, bad news is that i am without a functioning PC for 1-3 weeks as they look into it. Thanks again!

May 15, 2021
Hello!
I faced exactly the same problem for a few years now. It is completely hardware and it is very likely that MSI could/should resolve somehow. My MB is a Z170A GAMING M3. Now, the M.2 slot/controller went broken, so I demoted this PC to a secondary machine with a SATA SSD.
I tried to reinstall and start with other OS - the result is the same: it is comes from the BIOS/MB hardware initial setup. (The BIOS itself also reports 800MHz as clock.)
Unfortunately, I couldn't found a better solution than you guys: start ThrottleStop every time and untick BD PROCHOT. This is a working workaround, but very annoying, as after reboot all the processes are running on 800MHz until it is possible to start ThrottleStop...
I found the switch on the motherboard, has no effect switching back and forth...

I am afraid it is not an easy way to get another MB as the warranty is over - however, I think it should be fixed by MSI. Maybe it worth a try - I will let you know if I can archive any progress.

Greetings:
R.

Mar 24, 2021
Hi. I forgot about this thread, im sorry. I ended up RMAing the board and getting a full refund as they deemed it faulty. It was indeed showing 800MHz in BIOS so it must have been a faulty sensor throttling the mobo.

I got the enthusiast board (Z490 ACE) as they had it on sale for the same price and it worked as it should. I have used it for 7 weeks now; no problems. This is with the exact same components as with the faulty board. ThrottleStop does fix it, but it is an annoyance and only kicks in when the pc boots into windows. This also made the startup times slightly slower as it boots with a throttled cpu.

My new mobo also fixed a few other annoying problems i had like game errors and program errors. I dont really know what caused these problems as i cant tie them to the problem described in the title, but i am glad this isnt a problem anymore. Again, the only component i switched out was the mobo.

May 15, 2021
Wow! Thank you for your kind answer. Good news, I will try also. Did you go through the official MSI site or did you go through your local distributor?

Mar 24, 2021
I went through my local dealer. This was also within the 30 day return window, but that doesnt matter as it was faulty and they have to send me a working one/fix it. I dont know where you are from, but i live in Norway. We have a lot of strong laws regarding faulty products that in virtually every case would grant you a new product if they cannot fix it for you. I cant speak for the laws in your country, but i know MSI has its own warranty and so does the retailer most likely.

I would just try to contact both MSI and your retailer and see what they can do, and also check if you have any laws/rights as a customer regarding faulty products.

TRENDING THREADS