Be A Hero: Sign Up to DC Universe Online Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hovaucf[/nom]Developed by SoE, no thanks.[/citation]

Yeah, so sad...my power ring dimmed when I heard it was a Sony managed venture...

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]hovaucf[/nom]Developed by SoE, no thanks.[/citation]

You know somethings, Sony Online Entertainment makes some GREAT games. Just for some reason they have a fetish of destroying them through patches and upgrades later on.

- Planetside
- SWG

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i signed up but my anticipation meter is real low
at least the Agency looks alright but so far this game looks sort of terrible

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]You know somethings, Sony Online Entertainment makes some GREAT games. Just for some reason they have a fetish of destroying them through patches and upgrades later on. - Planetside- SWG[/citation]

In regards to SWG (which is the single source of all my SOE angst) the word destroy comes nowhere close to doing justice to the debacle that ensued once they started to "fix" the game. Monkeys in a circle jerk...

jon bon wonton

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]how long has this been in development? I remember reading back in 2008 that this game was "just around the corner"[/citation]
I was wondering the same thing. Comic books from 2008 were advertising the game.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Original Everquest was dope up until after Dragons of Norrath, lots of in-game content, VERY good lore and storyline, etc...

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes would have been a great game if they didn't pre-jack release it/run out of funding.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Sony gets a lot of undue hate.

Looking back at all the MMO's I have ever played Everquest 2 was the best and my favorite by far. WOW, FFXI, Warhammer Online, Star Trek Online just dont quite measure up to EQ2.

If SOE had not published EQ2 then I think it would have done much better against WOW, plus it would have helped if it wasnt so hard on systems when it came out.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]In regards to SWG (which is the single source of all my SOE angst) the word destroy comes nowhere close to doing justice to the debacle that ensued once they started to "fix" the game. Monkeys in a circle jerk...[/citation]

Actually, you might want to reserve your ire for Lucasarts. They were the driving force behind making it more like their OTHER Lucasarts games. I heard a revoke of the license to use the Star wars Genre was in the mix.

Considering what I have seen of Lucas's ventures, I'm not surprised.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]Actually, you might want to reserve your ire for Lucasarts. They were the driving force behind making it more like their OTHER Lucasarts games. I heard a revoke of the license to use the Star wars Genre was in the mix.Considering what I have seen of Lucas's ventures, I'm not surprised.[/citation]

I hope thats not true because if it is I have a feeling they will hold that over the heads of BioWare and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Bioware makes great games but if Lucas Arts is calling the shots its going to be a flop. Hope they are just throwing money at Bioware for the game and not forcing them in a direction they dont want.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Sony gets a lot of undue hate.Looking back at all the MMO's I have ever played Everquest 2 was the best and my favorite by far. WOW, FFXI, Warhammer Online, Star Trek Online just dont quite measure up to EQ2. If SOE had not published EQ2 then I think it would have done much better against WOW, plus it would have helped if it wasnt so hard on systems when it came out.[/citation]
Actually that game was damn good. I never really got that far, I think up to level 70 pally? But the game just seemed more interesting and a better set-up than the "other" MMO's I've played (including the original EQ).

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Thanks to SOE, no MMO, nay, no game, will *evar* have the infamy of StarWarsGalaxies... The greatest potential EVER, and was totally destroyed, resulting in a common, every-day garden variety class-based on-line Jedi-vs-Bountyhunter pay-to-play.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]hythos[/nom]Thanks to SOE, no MMO, nay, no game, will *evar* have the infamy of StarWarsGalaxies... The greatest potential EVER, and was totally destroyed, resulting in a common, every-day garden variety class-based on-line Jedi-vs-Bountyhunter pay-to-play.[/citation]
sony fails as a whole so its no wonder

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]I hope thats not true because if it is I have a feeling they will hold that over the heads of BioWare and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Bioware makes great games but if Lucas Arts is calling the shots its going to be a flop. Hope they are just throwing money at Bioware for the game and not forcing them in a direction they dont want.[/citation]

The whole incident was very hush hush. Lots of rumors abounded. Some villified SOE, some heard it was Lucas. The fact that it ended up being very much like some of the Lucasarts Games of the time tended to shift my opinion in the latter.

Who knows. Maybe they were tired trying to simplify and balance a system where you could mix parts of almost every class. But its still rather suspicious. Everything is a rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.