[SOLVED] be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 1 vs 2

LinwoodFerguson

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
I screwed up. Or did I?

I am doing a 3970x build with a AUS TRX40 Designare, which is XL-ATX and severely limited my choices. I wanted quiet and was really torn between a large, wide open case with better air flow, or a "quiet" case with more restricted airflow and some sound insulation. This is for image processing not gaming, no over clocking, I sure hope air cooling will be adequate. Vertical height is not an issue, it can be really tall, but I do not want a double wide. I originally wanted a Fractal Define XL but despite the name it is limited to E-ATX not XL. It will be out of view, I do not care what it looks like, but it is in my bedroom and runs (mostly idle) at night, so I do want quiet.

In the end having done the former in the past decided to try the latter. So I ordered the Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2.

Except I didn't -- it arrived today from B&H and apparently in building my shopping list there I got the wrong one, I got an original not Rev 2.

I've read the reviews, including this recent comment: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ev-2-atx-full-tower-case-a-good-case.3677892/

It sounds like it's mostly about the PSU shroud and some faster fans. It also seems like I get more drive bays in the old.

I haven't even opened it yet - forget the cost difference (considering the processor it's lost in the noise), is there anything else I'm missing here?

Any reason to get the Rev 2 that may not be obvious, or noted in that referenced thread?

Solution
unless you need the PSU shroud or the other fans
and unless you've paid the Rev2 price (which is a bit more expensive) I see no reason to return the original one.

LinwoodFerguson

Reputable
Aug 19, 2016
Thanks. That's what I got from other postings, but in time other things show up, so just wanted a last minute check. I did pay the lower price.

I guess I can start assembly, though the CPU doesn't arrive until tomorrow, still a lot to do.