Question be quiet! power supply is not that quiet :(

axescot

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
I built a custom PC about 6 months ago. It's an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 16gb RAM, GTX 1050. I also have a be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM 500W power supply. Early on (but I think past 30 days after installing it), I could hear a clicking from the fan. It happens only intermittently but I definitely narrowed it down to the power supply fan. All the online power calculators tell me that I need 400W or less. When I emailed customer support, they said I can send it and they will take a look at it. The only thing is that it happens intermittently. So it might not happen when they try it. It's not that loud but still bugs the hec out of me. Has anyone experienced anything like this and how did you fix it?

axescot

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
fans fail? It's a new power supply. I had it 1-2 months when it started happening. Also, they said if they find nothing wrong with it, they would just send it back. I wouldn't want to go through all that just to get it back with nothing changed.

Yeah, it could be a lapse in build quality. Either the fan has a defect from the time of manufacture, or perhaps there's a loose wire or something that brushes against it and becomes noticeable as the fan speed ramps up. You might want to make sure that it's not some other fan in your system having issues though, or a loose screw vibrating around in your case or something. Or electrical noises, for that matter.

be quiet! doesn't mean its a quiet psu - since APPLE doesn't actually make Apples : )

Actually, yes, that's exactly what it implies. : P The company's main thing is that they make computer equipment that's supposed to be quiet. Just look at their home page...

https://www.bequiet.com/en

"be quiet! - Silent PSUs, cases and PC cooling products."

"Enter the world of silent computing"

"Discover everything about the German silence experts"

"With more than 15 years experience in the field of noise reduction, be quiet! offers nearly inaudible products with quality on a world-class level."

And they advertise that particular power supply as having...

"EXCEPTIONALLY SILENT OPERATION"

"Achieved by a silence-optimized 120mm be quiet! fan"

"Airflow-optimized fan blades reduce turbulence, enabling best-in-class quiet functionality and the almost inaudible operation that be quiet! is famous for."

So, if the fan is in fact making an intermittent clicking noise, then that would definitely imply that something is not functioning as intended.

Reactions: davew1860

axescot

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Actually, yes, that's exactly what it implies. : P The company's main thing is that they make computer equipment that's supposed to be quiet. Just look at their home page...

https://www.bequiet.com/en

"be quiet! - Silent PSUs, cases and PC cooling products."

"Enter the world of silent computing"

"Discover everything about the German silence experts"

"With more than 15 years experience in the field of noise reduction, be quiet! offers nearly inaudible products with quality on a world-class level."

And they advertise that particular power supply as having...

"EXCEPTIONALLY SILENT OPERATION"

"Achieved by a silence-optimized 120mm be quiet! fan"

"Airflow-optimized fan blades reduce turbulence, enabling best-in-class quiet functionality and the almost inaudible operation that be quiet! is famous for."

First, thanks for this. Second, it's definitely the power supply cause I turned all other fans off and can hear it.

Lastly, I have an older power supply (OCZ Stealth Stream 500W) as backup. The ATX power connection is different than what's on the motherboard, ie the 24-pin and 8-pin on the motherboard and 20-pin and 4-pin on the power supply. I have an adapter for the 20 to 24-pin and according to the motherboard manual, it will accept a 4-pin in the 8-pin socket. Is it safe to use the 16 to 24-pin adapter while the beQuiet power supply is being repaired?

Last edited: