Question BE QUIET PURE ROCK Slim 2 CPU COOLER

Jun 29, 2022
I'm reaching max temperatures on my R5 2600 CPU while playing modern games with new thermal paste on. Is it worth getting the BE QUIET PURE ROCK Slim 2 cooler for 25€ ?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Case and fans?

What games do you play?

Has the build/CPU always been reaching max temperatures? If not, when did the problem begin?

What specific CPU temperatures? What thermal paste was newly applied and how was the paste applied? Did the problem start before or after reapplying new paste? Did the new thermal paste make any temperature differences at all?

A new cooler might help reduce the temperatures. However that is very dependent on why the CPU is overheating. Maybe the existing cooling is no longer sufficient for some reason.

Has the case ever been opened for cleaning? Possibly just clogged up vents and restricted airflows?

Focus should be on discovering the cause of the problem. A new cooler may or may not solve the issue.

Jun 29, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Case and fans?

What games do you play?

Has the build/CPU always been reaching max temperatures? If not, when did the problem begin?

What specific CPU temperatures? What thermal paste was newly applied and how was the paste applied? Did the problem start before or after reapplying new paste? Did the new thermal paste make any temperature differences at all?

A new cooler might help reduce the temperatures. However that is very dependent on why the CPU is overheating. Maybe the existing cooling is no longer sufficient for some reason.

Has the case ever been opened for cleaning? Possibly just clogged up vents and restricted airflows?

Focus should be on discovering the cause of the problem. A new cooler may or may not solve the issue.
I really can't understand why most of your questions would matter but I'll answer them anyway.
I use my PC mostly for non CPU demanding work.
My PC specs
I'm experiencing high CPU temps in almost every modern game. For example in COD Cold War it's 82degrees avg and max gets up to 95.
My PC temps have been awful since day one.
My R5 2600 CPU's thermal paste got changed yesterday. Got the PC cleaned up too. No change.
My idle temp is 50degrees avg
I really think it's more of CPU's stock cooler problem (AMD Wraith Stealth) because I've changed the thermal paste multiple times throughout the years, tried playing without the side panel on, tried bumping up the cooler's RPM and there was zero difference.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The problems:
-that case and your current fan layout. There's a lack of fresh air going to the cooler.
-weak fans that probably have trouble moving air through an air filter(a little exaggerated?), but the front panel is a glass wall. They would be more effective being used in the more open rear and top panels.
-in general, downdraft cpu air coolers - not just the Wraith - do not do as well with tempered glass side panels and open air gpus. The gpu is the cooler's closest 'cool air intake'.

The cpu cooler does need to change, but that may not be the only thing...

I really can't understand why most of your questions would matter but I'll answer them anyway.
I use my PC mostly for non CPU demanding work.
My PC specs
I'm experiencing high CPU temps in almost every modern game. For example in COD Cold War it's 82degrees avg and max gets up to 95.
My PC temps have been awful since day one.
My R5 2600 CPU's thermal paste got changed yesterday. Got the PC cleaned up too. No change.
My idle temp is 50degrees avg
I really think it's more of CPU's stock cooler problem (AMD Wraith Stealth) because I've changed the thermal paste multiple times throughout the years, tried playing without the side panel on, tried bumping up the cooler's RPM and there was zero difference.
It's always better to have lower temps and OEM coolers usually provide "Just enough" so it doesn't overheat and melt !!! Practically any aftermarket cooler ends up being better. So, yes that cooler would do nicely and be quieter too.
But...... best cooler in the world could suffer from poor case air flow and/or is not mounted properly so that has to be taken into account too.
also..... unless you use some really šitty paste it should last for years, no need to keep on changing often unless temps get high. It's illusory to expect much lower temps just because of paste. Aftermarket coolers usually come with satisfactory paste either pre-applied or in a small container.

Reactions: KyaraM
Jun 29, 2022
It's always better to have lower temps and OEM coolers usually provide "Just enough" so it doesn't overheat and melt !!! Practically any aftermarket cooler ends up being better. So, yes that cooler would do nicely and be quieter too.
But...... best cooler in the world could suffer from poor case air flow and/or is not mounted properly so that has to be taken into account too.
also..... unless you use some really šitty paste it should last for years, no need to keep on changing often unless temps get high. It's illusory to expect much lower temps just because of paste. Aftermarket coolers usually come with satisfactory paste either pre-applied or in a small container.
I have a pending shipment on arctic p12 pwm 5 fan pack that costed me 30€ thats 1 quality system fan per 6€ so I'll add the fans and see if that helps.