Question Been having a lot of issues with my internet recently and I've tried everything that I can think, of maybe someone here can help me out ?

Nov 23, 2022
Since September my internet has been acting very strange not loading videos, and constant disconnects when gaming. After some looking around I found out that my ipv6 was causing the issues with videos loading so I disabled it and things went back to normal on that end. But when gaming and talking to people on discord my computer acts like someone has unplugged my ethernet cable and then plugged it back in. It varies on how many times it will happen a day seemingly at random and I have been running ping tests almost non stop when using my computer for the last 3 days. I have a stable ping until it cuts out and it says "Request Timed Out". I looked that up and it says the most common issue is the firewall so I disabled that but it was still causing issues. I have done the network reset inside the windows settings. and have also flushed dns and entered the following into my command prompt
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
Also after resetting my computer it takes around 3 minutes for it to reconnect to the internet and this has been going on for as long as the other issues.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 4.50 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
Device ID 3C3B6693-BABC-4DA2-8ACF-008D70E87B1C
Product ID 00325-81230-60682-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎6/‎7/‎2022
OS build 22621.819
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22636.1000.0

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Modem and Router(or if combined Modem/Router): make and model ?

Have you tried another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable between PC and router?

Or if not directly connected, what is the wired connection path back to the router?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results here without needing to retype it all.

kanewolf

Titan
Since September my internet has been acting very strange not loading videos, and constant disconnects when gaming. After some looking around I found out that my ipv6 was causing the issues with videos loading so I disabled it and things went back to normal on that end. But when gaming and talking to people on discord my computer acts like someone has unplugged my ethernet cable and then plugged it back in. It varies on how many times it will happen a day seemingly at random and I have been running ping tests almost non stop when using my computer for the last 3 days. I have a stable ping until it cuts out and it says "Request Timed Out". I looked that up and it says the most common issue is the firewall so I disabled that but it was still causing issues. I have done the network reset inside the windows settings. and have also flushed dns and entered the following into my command prompt
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
Also after resetting my computer it takes around 3 minutes for it to reconnect to the internet and this has been going on for as long as the other issues.
Start by diszbling IPv6 on your PC. That fixes many random problems.

Nov 23, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Modem and Router(or if combined Modem/Router): make and model ?

Have you tried another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable between PC and router?

Or if not directly connected, what is the wired connection path back to the router?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results here without needing to retype it all.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EvansPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myfiosgateway.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myfiosgateway.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-2F-74-D1-17-D5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.177(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 27, 2022 9:29:06 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 28, 2022 9:29:05 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I have used another cable before but I had thought that was the issue so I swapped cables and had the same results. I am hardwired into an extender the model is E3200 and it is the same as the router that the rest of my family use. I have other things plugged into the extender and none of them have issues

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022
Start by diszbling IPv6 on your PC. That fixes many random problems.
I did that about a month ago and it fixed my issue with streaming video but it didn't do anything to help with my disconnects. I saw online some people said enabling ipv6 would fix the issue with the disconnects but it didn't fix anything just made it so my pc couldn't stream video anymore

kanewolf

Titan
I did that about a month ago and it fixed my issue with streaming video but it didn't do anything to help with my disconnects. I saw online some people said enabling ipv6 would fix the issue with the disconnects but it didn't fix anything just made it so my pc couldn't stream video anymore
You will have to start with basic ping connectivity tests. Run a continuous ping to your router and simultaneously to 8.8.8.8. Are there any dropouts on either of those?

Nov 23, 2022
You will have to start with basic ping connectivity tests. Run a continuous ping to your router and simultaneously to 8.8.8.8. Are there any dropouts on either of those?
How can I run them at the same time? I have run the test on both individually and have gotten dropouts if that helps.

Ralston18

Titan
This extender?

https://www.amazon.com/Fios-Wi-Fi-Extender-E3200-Verizon/dp/B082GH52QG

https://www.verizon.com/supportreso...cuments/internet/fios-extender-user-guide.pdf

What are the physical connections?

Something like the following line diagram:

Verizon IPS === Coax===>[Router fiber port] Router [LAN port] --- Ethernet Cable---> [LAN1] Externder with [LAN2] to some other wired device and ~~~ Wireless ~~~ > to wireless devices.

Plus other Router LAN Ports] to other wired devices for family, printer, NAS, etc..

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram.

What make and model router?

Was a static IP address assigned to the Wireless Extender?

Nov 23, 2022
You open multiple cmd.exe windows. One with the ping to the router another with ping to 8.8.8.8
If you have packet loss to the router, you HAVE to fix that first.
So I looked up the ip for my extender and I have that and 8.8.8.8 running and the 8's don't have any loss but for the extender it just keeps saying "Destination host unreachable". I don't know if thats because I'm pinging off my extender and not my router though. *UPDATE I just ran the command "netsh interface ip delete arpcache" and now I am getting a connection to my extender.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022
This extender?

https://www.amazon.com/Fios-Wi-Fi-Extender-E3200-Verizon/dp/B082GH52QG

https://www.verizon.com/supportreso...cuments/internet/fios-extender-user-guide.pdf

What are the physical connections?

Something like the following line diagram:

Verizon IPS === Coax===>[Router fiber port] Router [LAN port] --- Ethernet Cable---> [LAN1] Externder with [LAN2] to some other wired device and ~~~ Wireless ~~~ > to wireless devices.

Plus other Router LAN Ports] to other wired devices for family, printer, NAS, etc..

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram.

What make and model router?

Was a static IP address assigned to the Wireless Extender?
Yes that is the extender I use. We are using coax to connect to verizon and we have 1 coax cable going to the router and one coax going to my extender. Then my extender has my PC connected to LAN1 and then I have an extender for more ethernet cables in LAN2

Ralston18

Titan
Without knowing the overall connections within the network, there may be a network loop being created.

A network loop being physical connections that result in a circle. Device A -----> Device B ------> Device C ------> Device D ------> Device A (again).

Reference link for more information (and you can easily google for additional information and details):

https://kb.netgear.com/000060475/What-is-a-network-loop

Regarding the two coax cables: do the cables originate from a common source - a 2 port splitter (one input coax cable, two output cables) most likely. Could be something else, maybe a 1 to 3 splitter or 1 to 4 splitter?

And the splitters themselves may be creating problems if they have unused and un-terminated ports and cables connected and just sitting somewhere.

Just a simple sketch will go a long way towards clarifying the network topology.

Are you able to sketch out a simple diagram of your connections or edit my line diagram from Post # 11? That diagram now likely somewhat moot.

As I understand your reply in Post #14 you have:

Verizon IPS === Coax===> splitter === Coax(1) ====> [Router fiber port] Router [LAN port 1] --- Ethernet Cable---> PC

and === Coax(2) Extender(1) with [LAN2] ----> Extender(2) with other ---- Ethernet cables ----> to other wired network devices plus ~~~ Wireless ~~~ > to wireless devices.

Not sure about my understanding of your network's connections so certainly edit and correct as necessary.

If you need more LAN ports along the way, it may be simpler and more stable to use un-managed switches instead of extenders. May or may not be viable depending on wireless requirements and network device locations.

Seeing the big picture will certainly help and likely will garner other ideas and suggestions. Or correct some error of omission or commission on my part.

Nov 23, 2022
Without knowing the overall connections within the network, there may be a network loop being created.

A network loop being physical connections that result in a circle. Device A -----> Device B ------> Device C ------> Device D ------> Device A (again).

Reference link for more information (and you can easily google for additional information and details):

https://kb.netgear.com/000060475/What-is-a-network-loop

Regarding the two coax cables: do the cables originate from a common source - a 2 port splitter (one input coax cable, two output cables) most likely. Could be something else, maybe a 1 to 3 splitter or 1 to 4 splitter?

And the splitters themselves may be creating problems if they have unused and un-terminated ports and cables connected and just sitting somewhere.

Just a simple sketch will go a long way towards clarifying the network topology.

Are you able to sketch out a simple diagram of your connections or edit my line diagram from Post # 11? That diagram now likely somewhat moot.

As I understand your reply in Post #14 you have:

Verizon IPS === Coax===> splitter === Coax(1) ====> [Router fiber port] Router [LAN port 1] --- Ethernet Cable---> PC

and === Coax(2) Extender(1) with [LAN2] ----> Extender(2) with other ---- Ethernet cables ----> to other wired network devices plus ~~~ Wireless ~~~ > to wireless devices.

Not sure about my understanding of your network's connections so certainly edit and correct as necessary.

If you need more LAN ports along the way, it may be simpler and more stable to use un-managed switches instead of extenders. May or may not be viable depending on wireless requirements and network device locations.

Seeing the big picture will certainly help and likely will garner other ideas and suggestions. Or correct some error of omission or commission on my part.
View: https://imgur.com/a/bNBeDB4

We have a 1 - 3 splitter and all 3 slots are filled but I think that was for when we had cable so that just sits dormant (I would have to ask my dad) but it has been plugged in for years and has never caused issues before as far as I know.

Could what I did in post #13 have solved my issue? I played games for a few hours last night and only experienced 1 disconnect.

Ralston18

Titan
Deleting the arp -a cache/tables may have cleared out some conflict or corrupted entry. Each device will rebuild its' arp tables over time but likely very quickly with a small network.

FYI:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-address-resolution-protocol-arp-works/

https://www.lifewire.com/address-resolution-protocol-817941

You can easily find other similar references and explanations.

(Note: The router itself may provide some tabular listing of connected devices showing device names, IP addresses, and MACs. You will need admin access to the router to view any such tables.)

What the problem might have been I would be hard pressed to determine without more information.

It could be , that over time, the problem will re-occur again if there is some on-going network issue causing the arp cache(s) to become confused or contradictory.

= = = =

As for the network diagram - that is indeed helpful.

My take: Both extenders should be downstream from the router.

Router [LAN port ] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Extender 1 and another Router [LAN port] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Extender 2.

The splitter serving the router and Extender 1 would no longer be necessary with a direct ISP coax connection to the router.

If the router does not have enough LAN ports then you will need a small unmanaged switch to provide additional LAN ports.

Caveat being what make and model router? The router is being served by an ISP provided coax cable correct?

Unused and un-terminated coax cables can also cause problems. And termination must be properly done - not just a dust cap.

FYI:

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/tip-terminate-unused-ports/

Do keep your Dad in the loop before doing anything....

And there may be additional ideas and suggestions posted here as well.

Nov 23, 2022
Deleting the arp -a cache/tables may have cleared out some conflict or corrupted entry. Each device will rebuild its' arp tables over time but likely very quickly with a small network.

FYI:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-address-resolution-protocol-arp-works/

https://www.lifewire.com/address-resolution-protocol-817941

You can easily find other similar references and explanations.

(Note: The router itself may provide some tabular listing of connected devices showing device names, IP addresses, and MACs. You will need admin access to the router to view any such tables.)

What the problem might have been I would be hard pressed to determine without more information.

It could be , that over time, the problem will re-occur again if there is some on-going network issue causing the arp cache(s) to become confused or contradictory.

= = = =

As for the network diagram - that is indeed helpful.

My take: Both extenders should be downstream from the router.

Router [LAN port ] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Extender 1 and another Router [LAN port] ---- Ethernet cable ----> Extender 2.

The splitter serving the router and Extender 1 would no longer be necessary with a direct ISP coax connection to the router.

If the router does not have enough LAN ports then you will need a small unmanaged switch to provide additional LAN ports.

Caveat being what make and model router? The router is being served by an ISP provided coax cable correct?

Unused and un-terminated coax cables can also cause problems. And termination must be properly done - not just a dust cap.

FYI:

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/tip-terminate-unused-ports/

Do keep your Dad in the loop before doing anything....

And there may be additional ideas and suggestions posted here as well.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Xi2kO72

I am now just realizing all of these lights were off and I unscrewed the coax cable put it back in they turned on but now they turn off after about 3 minutes or so. So I hit the coax button on the back of the extender and it has been on for around 5 minutes straight now. I'm sure you won't be seeing this post until a few hours from now so I will keep an eye on it.

Ralston18

Titan
The lights are likely indications that power is available, data transfer speeds, and that data is being transmitted.

Specific meanings should in the Verizon modem/router's User Guide/Manual which should be available via Verizon's website.

Also on your PC run "arp -a" and post the results.

Both with and without (as necessary) the lights being on.

Is there a model number on the modem/router?

Nov 23, 2022
The lights are likely indications that power is available, data transfer speeds, and that data is being transmitted.

Specific meanings should in the Verizon modem/router's User Guide/Manual which should be available via Verizon's website.

Also on your PC run "arp -a" and post the results.

Both with and without (as necessary) the lights being on.

Is there a model number on the modem/router?
G3100
Interface: 192.168.1.177 --- 0xd
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.1 b8-f8-53-e5-1f-31 dynamic
192.168.1.155 f8-0f-f9-a8-c4-65 dynamic
192.168.1.158 a8-a1-59-ab-cf-ff dynamic
192.168.1.181 90-a8-22-7b-87-bd dynamic
192.168.1.234 34-51-80-0c-a0-e5 dynamic
192.168.1.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.251 01-00-5e-00-00-fb static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
239.255.255.250 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static
255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

After pressing the Coax button and unplugging and plugging things back in I didn't have any interruptions at all. The only thing that was still an issue is when I turn my computer on it takes a few minutes for the internet to connect.

Ralston18

Titan
arp -a

What I know is that the modem router has the IP address of 192.168.1.1 (commonly used) and that (from "ipconfig /all") your PC is being assigned a DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.177

Three other devices are listed but I would expect to see other devices as well. You should be able to match the listed MAC's (physical addresses) to other network devices: PS5, TV, PC's, extenders, etc.. Which devices are listed and which devices are not listed?

G3100 User Guide:

https://www.verizon.com/supportreso...documents/internet/fios-router-user-guide.pdf

[Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Page 9 explains the LEDs and what they indicate.

From Page 12:

Coax WAN and LAN - connects your router to the internet and/ or to other MoCA devices using a coaxial cable.

Warning: The WAN coax port is intended for connection to Verizon Fios only. It must not be connected to any exterior or interior coaxial wires not designated for Verizon Fios.

• Reset Button - allows you to reset your router to the factory default settings. To perform a soft reboot, press and hold the button for at least three seconds. To reset your router to the factory default settings, press and hold the button for at least ten seconds.

= = = =

Unplugging and plugging things back may have secured a loose connection.

However the button you pushed is the Reset button which may have returned the Modem/Router to it's default settings. If so, that means that any configuration settings made by the Admin person (your Dad ? ) have been lost and the modem/router may no longer even be secure. And other network settings also missing or in conflict.

As for your computer taking time to connect, you can use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both tools but only one tool at a time) to discover what the computer is doing or trying to during the delayed internet connection.

Two problems:

1) the physical connections to the extenders are not (as I understand) as they should be - i.e., that splitter on the incoming Verizon Coax cable.

2) the router configuration settings may no longer be correct and IP address conflicts are being created plus the possibility that that network is wide open - especially for third party access. Any static IP addresses previously established may be lost or now in conflict with other IP addresses.

That all said:

Before doing anything else you must get your Dad or whomever is the router admin person to help.