[SOLVED] Beep at POST until <Enter> key is pressed ?

blablaalb

Reputable
Sep 29, 2018
Hello again, forum members! Today I'm facing an issue with my Aspire 5738 laptop. It worked completely fine until today. Today when I tried to boot it it started beeping. It beeps endlessly until I press the Enter key. After pressing Enter it prints a bunch of ] characters and then boots normally. After the boot the ] key is not working!
I speculate, maybe the ] key somehow short circuited and this doesn't let the system to boot? Maybe, after I press Enter it disables the } and boots? The key is not physically stuck, I can press on it and it pops up back.
image.png

Solution
Hello again, forum members! Today I'm facing an issue with my Aspire 5738 laptop. It worked completely fine until today. Today when I tried to boot it it started beeping. It beeps endlessly until I press the Enter key. After pressing Enter it prints a bunch of ] characters and then boots normally. After the boot the ] key is not working!
I speculate, maybe the ] key somehow short circuited and this doesn't let the system to boot? Maybe, after I press Enter it disables the } and boots? The key is not physically stuck, I can press on it and it pops up back.
image.png

Tue switch beneath the button...
image.png

Tue switch beneath the button may still be stuck. Switches are just two flexible printed boards separated by just as thin plastic with holes where contacts are.

Solution

blablaalb

Reputable
Sep 29, 2018
Tue switch beneath the button may still be stuck. Switches are just two flexible printed boards separated by just as thin plastic with holes where contacts are.
Do I need to remove the keyboard from laptop and disassemble it or can I just remove the keycap in order to fix it? When I removed the keycap the white thing (possible switch, not sure what it's called?) pops back if I press it.

blablaalb

Reputable
Sep 29, 2018
Is there anything I can do before buying a new laptop keyboard replacement, just to make the keyboard is definitely the culprit? If I remove the keyboard and I plug-in an USB keyboard from my PC will the laptop pick it up? I have built and upgraded PC, but have never disassembled laptop before. I'll now probably do some research on how keyboard is removed from laptop, try to remove it and boot without keyboard. If it boots, then I will search for a keyboard replacement.

blablaalb

Reputable
Sep 29, 2018
Just removed the keyboard and it booted without any issue! Seems like the keyboard was indeed the culprit.
Does the key work normally when using the laptop after booting?

You could maybe spray some isopropyl alcohol on the switch let it soak and with a can of compressed air blow it out.
The key isn't working after the boot. You can see in the image above the character is printed a bunch of times before the system completely boots and then it's not working. I assume, maybe Linux disables the key? IDK.

Last edited: