[SOLVED] Beep

May 27, 2020
I have just built an new pc with an Asus Prime x299-aii motherboard. Its firing up and happily heading to the BIOS. All the bits are plugged in properly, with RAM, drives and fans all recognised in BIOS. The only thing I didn't get was a beep on start up. The 2 digit code on the motherboard shows a "start up" code of A9 after it runs through a number of other coded before it settles. This, I am assume, is the machine running POST. Does this board simply not beep because it has the digital display? I have tried it with headphones, wondering if I needed speakers plugged in, but got nothing. Have I missed something? More importantly, does it matter?

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

see step 17 here, the diagnostic speaker needs to be connected to the motherboards front panel connector, the headphone or speaker jack on the soundcard will not work for BIOS beeps. connect the speaker boot the system and listen for beeps.
cases used to come with a speaker already connected and motherboards came with the buzzer in the package, to save a nickle they removed that feature and increased the price to boot. you need to supply your own speaker now.

example only, not a suggestion, not an endorsement...

4745454b

Titan
While I believe some boards can route the beeps through the speaker/headphone jack, most do not. Some boards also have a built in speaker, but again most do not. You need to have a speaker plugged into the board. Where you plugged in the power switch, HDD LED, etc.

The 2 digit code on the motherboard shows a "start up" code of A9 after it runs through a number of other coded before it settles. This, I am assume, is the machine running POST.

You can assume that, or you can read the manual and know what A9 means. I've had boards with these LED codes before. A normal boot usually ends with FF or 00. Something like that. Is the board working? Are you having issues? I wouldn't assuming A9 means it successfully booted.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

see step 17 here, the diagnostic speaker needs to be connected to the motherboards front panel connector, the headphone or speaker jack on the soundcard will not work for BIOS beeps. connect the speaker boot the system and listen for beeps.
cases used to come with a speaker already connected and motherboards came with the buzzer in the package, to save a nickle they removed that feature and increased the price to boot. you need to supply your own speaker now.

example only, not a suggestion, not an endorsement
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR1A4NV?tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
one of these used to come with each motherboard once upon a time.

canned diagnostic speaker rant: speaker making 101
The diagnostic speaker is the motherboards main diagnostic feedback device.
the motherboard may be telling you where the problem is.
my speakers have this plug
http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/graphics/infolib/homelib/hSpeakerSpringClip.jpg
I use lamp wire but any stranded wire will do. literally any stranded wires. strip one end like so
http://www.antiquelampco.com/Shades/CordColors.jpg
attach the stripped end into the speaker spring clips on the speaker.
the other end of the wire should be trimmed like so the semi strip
https://wesbellwireandcable.com/images/cutwire.png
by doing a semi strip the wire case is now the socket.
plug one wire to the first pin, and the second onto the fourth pin.
power on the system and listen for beeps
end canned rant

Solution
May 27, 2020
While I believe some boards can route the beeps through the speaker/headphone jack, most do not. Some boards also have a built in speaker, but again most do not. You need to have a speaker plugged into the board. Where you plugged in the power switch, HDD LED, etc.

You can assume that, or you can read the manual and know what A9 means. I've had boards with these LED codes before. A normal boot usually ends with FF or 00. Something like that. Is the board working? Are you having issues? I wouldn't assuming A9 means it successfully booted.

May 27, 2020
thanks for your rsponse. I have loaded windows completed the updates to drivers, bios etc and it works like a dream. Still no beep on post, but its clearly doing the job.