Question Beeping, Beeping, Beeping

lsmithyonce

Honorable
May 10, 2016
My wifes notebook (HP 355 G2 with windows 7 pro) beeps 8 times every hour at 10 minutes after. I updated the bios. HP isn't very helpful. Any ideas?

Colif

Win 11 Master

lsmithyonce

Honorable
May 10, 2016
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
Thanks for the advice. Did it all. Unfortunately, it still beeps.10 minutes after every hour.

Last edited by a moderator:

lsmithyonce

Honorable
May 10, 2016
Thanks for taking the time to help. I did everything you suggested. Still beeping 8 beeps. 10 minutes after
every hour.
BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
It's so odd. It doesn't beep on startup.
I've also updated BIOS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try going into safe mode just before time it goes off, and see if it still happens.

if it doesn't happen, it must be a driver (which is odd) or another program she runs.

lsmithyonce

Honorable
May 10, 2016
try going into safe mode just before time it goes off, and see if it still happens.

if it doesn't happen, it must be a driver (which is odd) or another program she runs.
Thank you so much all your help. I finally found the problem. This is embarrassing. Last night I knocked over some things from behind my wifes notebook. Among those was her beeper (she is a chaplain at a nearby hospital). The battery came out. When I plugged it back in I heard a familiar beeping sequence.
YEP! Eight beeps. Identical to the beep which her laptop makes. The battery was dying. It beeps every hour until someone changes the battery. The alert mode kicked in at 10 after the hour. She hasn't worked since the pandemic because of a heart condition which puts her at high risk, so I never thought to look for it.
This just reminds me of a rule I shared with clients when I did software support some 20 years ago.
!!!!!!NEVER ASSUME!!!!!!
Again, thank you for donating your time and expertise and thanks to Tom's hardware for having this forum.
I almost threw in the towel and bought a new notebook.

Last edited by a moderator: