Beeping/Clicking sounds on new HDD

borobobo

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Hello,
I recently bought a Toshiba p300 3tb hdd as a secondary disk for games storage mostly. I couldn't make it to show up in bios/uefi and it was making a weird clicking and beeping sound as if the head was stuck so I returned it and they gave me another one which I did manage to install it.
I've tried to install a game but the computer froze and the same weird sound started to beep and the hdd was not visible in the device manager or "My computer".
I restarted my pc and the hard drive seemed to be visible again so I thought it was Steam's error and then I tried to download a game from Origin. The game installation reached 1GB of size untill the disk started beeping again and disappearing from the device manager.

Is this a disk problem or have I done something wrong? Could it be the psu being weak for 2 hard disk drives?
Thanks in advance.

-
My specs:
cpu: amd fx-6300
ram: 2x4gb ddr3
gpu: amd radeon r7 260x
mobo: gigabyte 970a-ds3p
psu: coolermaster g550m bronze

Solution
A hard drive uses very little power, doubt it's the power supply. Try a different SATA cable and port, make sure your connectors are in properly.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

This is almost always the sign of a dead drive, or one that its way out very soon. If its new, I would just return it for a replacement. It happens from time to time.