NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB
16GB DDR4 2400MHZ RAM
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe M.2 SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 1.05.14, dated 15/06/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Windows 10 Home

ISSUE
Intermittent beeping (typically around 35) usually followed by shutdown.
Beeps and intervals are the same length and around 1 second in duration.
Occurs 1-2 times per week and getting more frequent.
Not associated with use any particular software.
Often occurs soon after startup. Strong correlation with past incidents. If it occurs and I restart laptop there is a good chance it will occur again, but if I leave and try later often it will be fine.
I have monitored temperatures using Speccy and some correlation with higher CPU temperatures (eg on startup) but not always associated with higher temperatures.
Laptop internals are clean and fans appear to be working fine.
Occurs both on battery and on mains power (with battery removed).
Windows event manager does not flag any obvious causes.

DIAGNOSIS
My best guess from reading past posts is that there is faulty communication between an embedded controller and the GPU thermal sensor. I have tried resetting the EC but this hasn’t helped.
I have considered updating the BIOS but not certain re correct update version (and am not confident this would help anyway).

Not sure what to do next. Appreciate any suggestions

Simon

Zmasher

Reputable
Jun 14, 2020
Issue solved. Shout out to Arden at Metabox (www.metabox.com.au) that diagnosed the problem at no charge out of the warranty period..

Repeatedly switching the fan from automatic to maximum speed ('Fn' and '1' key) stops the beeping and shutdown temporarily.

After we updated the BIOS he advised that a RPM sensor on one of the fans was failing, such that it was showing the fan as not spinning correctly (whilst temperatures remained normal and the fan was probably working OK). This BIOS is controlling the fan and consequently was shutting the laptop down. He couldn't say whether it was the GPU or CPU fan giving incorrect sensor readings ... but I am replacing both of the fans and expect that this will solve the issue

Reactions: marcomandy
Status
Not open for further replies.